Pumpkin Pie

SONY DSC

I’ll admit it: I’m not a fan. Never have been, although taking a bite doesn’t make me as squeamish as it used to. It’s just that if I’m going to ingest the calories, I’d rather it be in the form of apple pie, or pecan, or anything chocolate. When I was a kid the flavour was too reminiscent of black licorice; although I’ve gotten over my aversion to molasses, I’m still not all that jazzed about pumpkin pie. Could be the lack of sentiment that everyone else seems to possess.

We cobbled together a turkey dinner, both of us having had the feeling that we missed out on Thanksgiving somehow – with us in Vancouver and she at home working, we both managed to technically eat some turkey within the vicinity of the actual day, but didn’t get to experience that warm kitchen full of people chopping and poking and stirring, the picking of the crispy bits of skin and stuffing spilling out from the bird, the overflowing table with lots of cranberry sauce (tonight I used frozen chopped rhubarb along with the cranberries-yum) and yes – even the pumpkin pie. (It’s probably a good thing I’m not a fan – after all that stuffing, it’s probably a good idea to lose the pie and just down a few spoonfuls of whipped cream straight up. Who needs a vehicle beyond a spoon?)

AuthorJulie

Category,

Ingredients

Directions

Pumpkin Pie

One Year Ago: Lentil Veg Curry and Banana Bread

About Julie

You May Also Like

35 comments on “Pumpkin Pie

1. pauline
    October 19, 2009 at 3:37 am

Love the new format. Roasted tomato soup just what I need to get rid of all the tomato’s I have. Its 3.30am I can’t sleep and now I am craving a piece of that pie. good job here is no picture.

2. Buddiegirl
    October 19, 2009 at 6:28 am

I am so glad to know that you don’t like pumpkin pie. I am the only one in my family that doesn’t like it and every Thanksgiving my siblings and my daughter accuse me of being adopted because of my dislike. I also have gotten looks of bewilderment or pity when I have mentioned to friends/aquaintences that I don’t look forward to pumpkin pie every year. One friend was very concerned because she thought I didn’t like pie at all. Unfortunately that is not the case, I like almost any other type of pie, some a little too well.

I do know a couple of people who don’t like turkey, which I don’t understand at all.

3. Jen T
    October 19, 2009 at 8:01 am

Pumpkin pie sits next to seaweed on my lists of dislikes. I always wondered why pumpkin pie can’t have a top crust – as that (and the whipped cream) are the only good things about that pie!

4. Jennifer
    October 19, 2009 at 8:30 am

I also do not like Pumpkin Pie. Thank goodness I have an understanding Mother who makes me a different kind of pie for those special occassions.

5. Fiona
    October 19, 2009 at 9:11 am

I don’t like pumpkin pie, either, and I get the same grief at every holiday get-together. I think it’s a texture thing. It’s certainly not a pie thing, as I have a deep, passionate love for the pie format. My great-grandmother made a pie for her family every single day, so it’s in my genes.

6. JulieVR
    October 19, 2009 at 9:11 am

I’m so glad I’m not the only one! It’s not so weird after all!

7. Cheryl Arkison
    October 19, 2009 at 9:17 am

I don’t mind it now, but it isn’t my fave. But when I was a kid I hated it and Thanksgiving was the one time of year I was allowed to stir sliced bananas into whipped cream for my dessert while the rest of the family had pie. Mmm, yummy memory.

8. Jacquie
    October 19, 2009 at 9:22 am

We also celebrated Thanksgiving this past weekend with my Mom who came in from Calgary and my brother and his family. The turkey and my mémère’s dressing were sublime, though the gravy was not my best effort. Instead of pumpkin pie, which I knew would not be popular with most, I made the pumpkin patch cupcakes from the Martha Stewart Cupcake cookbook. Very light and “pumpkin-y” with cream cheese icing. Instead of decorating with homemade marsipan pumpkins (!) I used gummy pumpkins from Shoppers Drug Mart – very cute!

9. Erica B.
    October 19, 2009 at 1:13 pm

I’m with you about black licorice *blech!* anything anise flavoured just doesn’t work for me. Heaven knows I’ve tried to like it. I do however like pumpkin pie – it has to be good pumpkin pie though… life is too short for bad pie. I’d rather have all the spices in some other form than eat the usually soggy crust. I think today’s project will be pumpkin-yogurt mini muffins… ooh and one of your soups with the slab scones. MMmmmm rainy day cofort food. 🙂

10. Heather
    October 19, 2009 at 1:50 pm

I’ve always thought pumpkin pie tastes like wet cardboard seasoned with a little nutmeg and cinnamon. I do recall an aunt making pumpkin cheesecake one thanksgiving, and I quite enjoyed that.

11. Michelle
    October 19, 2009 at 3:48 pm

My sisters and I have never liked pumpkin pie. Luckily my mom also makes apple pie for Thanksgiving although I’m not a big pie fan. I prefer cake with lots of icing, icing on the bottom, icing in the middle, icing on the top, and extra just in case.

12. Sprout
    October 19, 2009 at 4:40 pm

I love pumpkin pie! I do have to say that this year my father in law made a butternut squash pie and everyone said they preferred it to pumpkin. It was really great!

13. margo
    October 19, 2009 at 4:48 pm

In my opinion, pumpkin pie needs a filling that doesn’t make you think “squash” or smell that smell that you get a whif of when you open a can of pumpkin. It has to be deliciously transformed into a creamy, spicy treat, and it can be done. That said, I have a wonderful sweet potato pie recipe which my family thinks is to-die-for… they prefer it to pumpkin. I believe there’s a similar recipe in Julie’s index. Don’t rule it out as a fantastic fall / thanksgiving pie of choice!!

14. Melanie
    October 19, 2009 at 5:24 pm

I will be the odd man out and confess that I love pumpkin pie but only when it is made right (and that means it must be homemade by my mom). I just got home and feel that I should make my family pumpkin pie for supper… I don’t think they will complain…
    Off to whip up pie crust!

15. Melanie
    October 19, 2009 at 7:39 pm

Okay – so I ditched the pie making idea and went for your pumpkin waffles instead… satisfied us all!

16. lovetocook
    October 19, 2009 at 7:49 pm

Not a fan of pumpkin pie and the soggy crust either. But I love pumpkin soup, fried pumpkin with garlic, pumpkin loaf, pumpkin cheesecake, muffins or this much-easier-than-pie Thanksgiving dessert (Top with whipped cream – we’ve already had mashed potatoes and gravy!)
    Mix 4 eggs, 2 1/2 cups pumpkin, 1 cup sugar, 2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp ginger, 1/4 tsp cloves, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp salt and 1 can evaporated milk in a blender or processor. Pour into a 9X13 pan. Spread 1 box of yellow or spice cake mix over filling, then pour 3/4 cup of melted butter evenly over it. Bake 1 1/2 h at 325F or until knife comes out clean. Sprinkle with 1 cup chopped pecans after 1 hour of baking. Cool, cut in squares. OK made a day ahead.

17. Aimee
    October 19, 2009 at 8:38 pm

I hated it as a kid, but now I love pumpkin pie. Somewhere along the line, as I was growing up, my tastes changes. Weird, eh?

I spike mine with maple syrup, use roasted butternut squash instead of pumpkin, and eat it chilled, straight from the fridge. Oh MAN. Totally yum.

18. JulieVR
    October 19, 2009 at 8:56 pm

Yeah, I made one with squash earlier in the year – didn’t make a difference! Odd, since I love squash.

That pumpkin dessert cake sounds quite fab though! You had me at the 3/4 cup of melted butter.

19. Erica B.
    October 19, 2009 at 10:56 pm

lovetocook: What you describe has been dubbed “pumpkin crack” and as of this past thanksgiving I’ve also made a gluten free version. YUM!

20. Katharine
    October 19, 2009 at 11:30 pm

I love your new format! I could take or leave pumpkin pie. I’d much rather eat chocolate something or other.

21. Barbara Bakes
    October 20, 2009 at 5:49 am

Your pie is beautiful! I like the addition of brown sugar!

22. ABowlOfMush
    October 20, 2009 at 6:40 am

This is a really great looking pumpkin pie!

The pie crust leaves on top look lovely and elegant.

23. Vicky
    October 20, 2009 at 8:43 am

The pumpkin pie looks sooo good. The cut out made me think of passed years, I used to put tiny poinsettia leaves on my french meat pies for Xmas and little apples on the apple pies I’d freeze, therefore that would let me know what each was, I liked to make ahead of time.Love your blog, follow it daily, have a great day.

24. Robyn in Mountain (Ontario that is)
    October 20, 2009 at 11:14 am

Julie, I really like the “You might also like” that you have included on your page. You make everything look so beautiful and it is so much fun reading your thoughts and recipes. Thanks!

25. Amy @ Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free
    October 20, 2009 at 3:18 pm

I guess I’m in the minority as a pumpkin lover. I eat it right out of the can with a spoon. Didn’t think that was weird until my husband moved in. Totally grossed him out.

I eat pumpkin with cottage cheese, plain roasted out of the oven, in pies, in ice cream, in breads. I love it. I panicked when there was a pumpkin shortage and the stores didn’t have any canned pumpkin for months and started buying pie pumpkins like crazy.

Guess I just admitted to all of that…wondering if I should go ahead and push submit…

26. Theresa
    October 20, 2009 at 9:58 pm

I am not a fan of pumpkin pie either. One year, however, a friend made a divine version: the lower layer was pumpkin, and the top layer was pecan pie. It was gorgeous.

27. Aimee
    October 22, 2009 at 11:47 am

Oh my gosh! The pics are gorgeous! You are the pie queen. Hmm, a new cookbook, Julie??

28. Jayne
    October 23, 2009 at 1:02 pm

Yeah I wasn’t a fan of pumpkin pie as a child, nor am I obsessed with it now. But I have to HAVE TO have a slice after Thanksgiving dinner, along with a slice of chocolate pie.

29. Amanda
    October 29, 2009 at 1:25 am

The pie looks delicious.

I am quite the opposite of most commenters here, I love pumpkin pie, but it is the only pie I can stand. I abhor the texture of slimy cooked fruit chunks in syrupy juices so pretty much all fruit pies are out for me.

I have noticed the pumpkin inspires string reactions in people, though