Jaden, Shauna and I Cook it Slow on Good Bite!

As you know, it’s one of the most well-used small appliances in my kitchen. I’m not a g0-go-gadget sort of girl, but I do love my Crock Pot.

Shauna shares her Beef Bourguignon recipe, and Jaden shows us how to make Jambalaya.

Me, when the slow cooker is plugged in I have a hard time not making pulled pork.

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

Recipe link

January 7, 2010

Ingredients

1- 2 to 3 lb pork rib roast or shoulder, or two pork tenderloins (which are leaner)

salt & pepper

canola or olive oil, for cooking

1 large onion, chopped

2 carrots, chopped (no need to peel them - optional)

2 stalks celery, chopped (optional)

1 bottle dark beer, root beer or apple cider/juice

1 cup barbecue sauce (or to taste)

soft buns

creamy coleslaw, for serving with (optional)

Directions

1Season the pork on all sides with salt and pepper. Set a skillet over medium-high heat, add a drizzle of oil and brown the meat on all sides. Remove from the pan and set aside on a plate. Add the vegetables to the pan and cook for a few minutes, until starting to turn golden on the edges (if you don't have time for this, you could stick them directly into the slow cooker, but caramelizing them a bit will add more flavour).

2Put the vegetables in the bottom of the slow cooker, and top with the pork. Pour some of the beer into the skillet and swirl it around, scraping up any flavourful browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pan, and then pour it into the slow cooker. Pour the rest of the beer the pork and vegetables as well.

3Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.

4Remove the meat from the slow cooker and set it aside. Strain the vegetables and keep the sauce (alternatively, you could blend the lot in a blender or food processor for a thicker sauce), skim as much fat as possible from the surface and set aside. Put the meat back into the slow cooker and shred with a fork, discarding any chunks of fat you come across; moisten with the reserved liquid and add the barbecue sauce.

5Set the slow cooker to warm to serve from; load onto soft buns and top with cole slaw if desired.

00:00

One Year Ago: Lemongrass Buttermilk Pie

About Julie

You May Also Like

14 comments on “Jaden, Shauna and I Cook it Slow on Good Bite!

1. H-woman
    January 7, 2010 at 10:10 pm

You forgot the pickles! When I was in the Southern US, bah-be que was served on a bun, with coleslaw and topped with hamburger sliced pickles. YUM!

H =)

2. bellini valli
    January 8, 2010 at 5:04 am

The crock pot is good for some things so it does have it’s place in the kitchen. I made a type of pulled pork Mexican dish that was amazing cookied in my slow cooker.

3. Alicen
    January 8, 2010 at 5:21 am

I love pulled pork in the slow cooker but I always make it with a packaged BBQ Pork slow cooker seasoning packet. I should try it this way :)

4. Ellen
    January 8, 2010 at 7:40 am

Julie, you looked radiant on that little post! You have an amazing energy in front of the camera. You outshone the food!

5. Lana in South Mountain (ON)
    January 8, 2010 at 8:37 am

I just want to second what Ellen said.
    What a gorgeous photo of you, Julie!
    xo

6. Robyn in Mountain (Ontario that is)
    January 8, 2010 at 8:49 am

Love the look of the pulled pork recipe, Julie! I’m going to give it a try. I went to goodbite.com and aslo saw your lentil curry recipe. Does it matter what kind of lentils are used? I have some organic green lentils in the panty, but have also seen a recipe using red lentils. What’s the diff?
    Just wondering, why aren’t you making the recipes on goodbite.com? It would be so much more enjoyable :-)
    Cheers!

7. tara
    January 8, 2010 at 12:09 pm

My husband is a pulled-pork aficionado from way back; nothing makes him happier to go alongside a beer and football.

You three are such gems; you just light up the screen.

8. Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite
    January 8, 2010 at 1:06 pm

This looks like a wonderful recipe – am bookmarking it to try in the next little while. I love my slow cooker!

9. Barb
    January 8, 2010 at 2:34 pm

My slow cooker has been sitting on the shelf waiting for this one. It’s time

10. eroica
    January 8, 2010 at 6:53 pm

My favourite slow cooker recipes are the ones that don’t require first pulling out a skillet to brown everything.

11. JulieVR
    January 8, 2010 at 7:23 pm

You can cook any slow cooker recipe that way, by just tossing it all into the slow cooker and turning it on, but browning it first adds a ton of flavour. This is why CrockPot came up with a slow cooker with an insert you can crank up high and brown right in the pot before turning it down, lidding it and letting it cook. Of course most people don’t have that particular one, which is why you pull your skillet out. Totally optional, but I think worth the extra five minutes or so!

12. Lynn
    June 14, 2010 at 10:17 am

Hi Julie, I’m going to make this for this Father’s Day. If using pork tenderloin do you have to lessen the cooking time?

13. pulled porkrecept
    July 20, 2013 at 4:23 am

Heya i am somebody in charge of here. I stumbled upon this kind of board i to uncover It genuinely handy & it helped me outside significantly. I hope to provide anything all over again as well as assist other people as if you made it easier for my family.

14. Kalma quran
    May 28, 2015 at 3:33 am

I fully agree with this idea! I am sure that this information can be very much helpful!