Irish Soda Hot Crossed Buns

SONY DSC

Who am I to not haul myself up onto the St. Paddy’s Day bandwagon with something green or Irish? I can’t do green beer, but I can manage a fresh loaf of bread. Or buns.

It occurred to me as I lay in bed last night far past midnight, trying to convince my brain to quiet and let me sleep, that an Irish soda loaf looks an awful lot like a giant, rustic hot crossed bun. Don’t you think? Big and round, with the X slashed across the top? And although I do love from-scratch hot crossed buns, soda bread is quick (leavened not with yeast, but containing in fact more baking powder than soda) and thus something that can be mixed and baked in the wee hours of the morning while everyone else is still asleep.

I added grated orange zest and currants, which remind me of my Grandma (although I have no memory of her making Irish soda bread nor hot crossed buns), but you could add chopped candied citron and golden raisins or whatever you might be inclined to add to a hot crossed bun. I shaped the sticky dough into rough balls, slashed Xs on them with a serrated knife, brushed them with buttermilk and sprinkled their tops with coarse sugar. They came out much like drop biscuits/scones, but with far less fat (1/4 cup to 4 cups of flour). I liked their texture and way they spread; if you’re inclined to have them hold their shape a little better, add about 1/2 cup more flour.

AuthorJulie

Category,

Ingredients

Directions

Irish Soda Hot Crossed Buns

One Year Ago: Third-Month-of-the-Year-Cake

About Julie

You May Also Like

12 comments on “Irish Soda Hot Crossed Buns

1. Andrea @ Fork Fingers Chopsticks
    March 17, 2010 at 12:12 am

Gorgeous bread and love the added orange. I had the pleasure of attending an Irish baking class a few weeks back and learned that the X slashed across the top was believed to let the fairies out when baking. A good luck tradition, that actually helped the bread rise.

2. bellini valli
    March 17, 2010 at 5:32 am

Happy St. Paddy’s Day Julie where we are all Irish for one day…if only I had some soda bread for breakfast the day would start off well.

3. Jess
    March 17, 2010 at 8:39 am

Nice buns, Julie! Hot, even. 🙂

4. Lana in South Mountain (ON)
    March 17, 2010 at 9:45 am

I made soda bread for the office this morning, served with butter peach conserve that I made last summer. The taste of warmer days!
    Thanks for this recipe. I may try this one for my St. Patrick’s Day party on Friday night.
    You’re not in the neighbourhood by any chance, huh?
    Slainte!

5. Jan (Family Bites)
    March 17, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Looks so great! I love the individual serving size of these. I recently read that Irish Soda bread was traditionally served with warm butter and pomegranate jelly – both would go great with your addition of orange and current – or at least I think so!

6. Barb
    March 17, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Oooo What a great idea for today!

7. Carolyn
    March 17, 2010 at 7:17 pm

I love when you post low fat recipes. Can’t wait to try this!

8. Erin M
    March 17, 2010 at 10:40 pm

Had Irish soda bread for the first time tonight…that and something called Dublin Coddle?? My father decided to start an Irish dinner tradition on st. paddys day. That and a guinness of course…. 🙂

9. bianca
    March 17, 2010 at 11:49 pm

“hot crossed buns; hot crossed buns. see how they run; see how they run”.

Great one!

10. Patty
    March 18, 2010 at 7:52 pm

I’ve always wondered what Hot Cross Buns were, I mean you hear the song but you never really know what’s going on there. Thanks for the recipe, I can’t wait to try it out!

11. Ester
    January 6, 2013 at 7:57 pm

I am new in baking bread and still learning. I have a question, can I make this bread using unbleached wheat bread flour? Thanks

12. JulieVR