The Windowfarms Project

We’re halfway to Tofino, spending the night at Sue’s. Remember Sue? They conveniently live halfway between Calgary and Vancouver, where they run a private bed & breakfast just for us. They are on standby at all times should we decide to pop by the top of the mountain on the way to Vancouver.

It hasn’t been a bad drive so far, with the exception of Lou’s gas.

I’m already eating well, but can’t prove it until I dig the camera cord out of the bottom of the suitcase. Tomorrow.

Meanwhile, check this out. If these guys can grow gardens out of hanging bottles in their apartment windows in NYC, I should be able to pull something edible from my plot alongside the fence in our back yard.

About Julie

You May Also Like

11 comments on “The Windowfarms Project

1. Erica B.
    March 31, 2010 at 8:16 am

Glad to hear your on your way, and sorry to hear about the dog stink bombs. I wonder if that ahem energy can be harnessed – if you’re going to suffer the silent but deadly smell then there ought to be a benefit.

I emailed one of A’s former teachers at the Langevin Science Program about window farming – I think it’d be an awesome project for the Jr High kids.

2. Amanda
    March 31, 2010 at 8:52 am

I looked into to doing this for one of my condo windows, but the all the pump stuff scared me… Enjoy your trip, I’ll be making the 12hr drive to Vancouver on Friday… gotta stock up on jerky…

3. Carol SB
    March 31, 2010 at 9:14 am

Oh dear, “get gas before we leave” was not on Lou’s list… nice of him to volunteer in the only way he can, but… (as the bard said, “therein lies a tale”)
    The windowfarms idea is tremendous. I can remember tomato-growing efforts that did not work out: this looks like a step up, with the online collaborative support.
    You find the coolest ideas, Julie!

4. Terri
    March 31, 2010 at 11:09 am

Sure…blame the dog ! 😉 Travel safe!

5. Manon from Ontario
    March 31, 2010 at 11:12 am

Hiya Julie, Enjoy your trip to Toledo :)
    Sorry to hear that Lou is not “enjoying” his trip :(

Did you get the chocolates?

Have a great vacation.

MFO

6. Manon from Ontario
    March 31, 2010 at 11:13 am

I meant Tofino??? not Toledo???

Sorry, I’m exhausted from the sugar shack hours, need some rest soon!!!

7. Vivian
    March 31, 2010 at 3:31 pm

Oh, Manon…so funny, even if it was a typo or brain-freeze! Gawd forbid Julie should have to spend VACATION time in “Toledo”!! (No offense to the folks who live there, but…)

8. theUngourmet
    March 31, 2010 at 3:51 pm

This is such a cool thing! I just sent this post to my son’s teacher. I think this would be a terrific project for students!

9. Laurie in Burnaby BC
    March 31, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Hilarious, Manon! I was blinking at it, wondering, “Toldeo? Is that an in joke?”

Julie, I can’t believe you took the time to update us while you’re travelling! Thank you, it made my day.

The window garden looks wonderful. I need to do more of that kind of thing now that I can’t work in my garden plot any more.

Too bad about the puppy fumes – change his diet?

Have a safe trip and a wonderful time! The weather in Tofino is going to be ghastly on Friday, but should improve after that.

Laurie

10. Ashley
    April 8, 2010 at 8:21 am

Wow thank you for sharing the windowfarms thing. That it seriously awesome.

11. Beverley M
    April 9, 2010 at 6:56 pm

I haven’t looked at the link yet, but check out SquareFootGardening.com (there’s a book that goes with it) — I’m excited about using it this year for the first time. So far I have three different things sprouting (radishes, and two kinds of lettuce)