Breakfast at Red’s

Red's+Diner
A picture is worth a thousand words, right? Here are a few I’ll let speak for themselves.

It was snowy and wet today, barely over zero. (It still is – the clumpy flakes are blowing sideways across the roof past the window.) I was tired, and not much in the mood to cook. After dropping W at playschool we snuck off to have breakfast at Red’s Diner, a new spot on 4th St, beside the Rose
& Crown. Great location.

Great interior, nice people – the food came quickly, despite the fact that every table was full (we sat at the counter – a great vantage point for people-watching). Eggs Benedict is usually my restaurant breakfast of choice – something I’m unlikely to make at home, and a good litmus test for a new place. These passed easily. They got a quick turn under the broiler after being sauced, so that the hollandaise was pale gold on top. Good potatoes – real ones, not the cotton-towelly potato cubes you sometimes get as filler – and cheese sourdough in the lineup of toast choices. Thumbs up.

Next time: short rib hash topped with eggs. Luckily, breakfast is served all day.

Dinner was a pathetic parade of cereal, toast and Cheezies.

About Julie

You May Also Like

14 comments on “Breakfast at Red’s

1. Patrick Dunn
    April 28, 2010 at 10:45 pm

I think it’s a great location for breakie. My roommate and I showed up there one morning starving for breakfast (likely after an evening’s bender)only to find out it the interior was still being built. Oopsy!
    Went back a few months later and enjoyed ourselves and the food! I wish the owners well!

2. H-woman
    April 28, 2010 at 10:49 pm

I love breakfast out! Since they’re in my ‘hood, I need to check Red’s out. Maybe this weekend….

=)

3. Laurie in Burnaby BC
    April 29, 2010 at 1:54 am

love eggs bennie – one of my indulgences, and a true test of a new brekkie place. Good bennies are not as easy as people think. Then I add confusion by asking for them on whole grain toast instead of English muffins. I become a faithful slave to places that get it right.

4. Carol SB
    April 29, 2010 at 7:35 am

I so agree with you and Laurie.
    I’ve had eggs benedict made with margarine in the hollandaise. Margarine, I ask you! Did you think we wouldn’t tell the difference? Use butter, please.
    This one sounds superb. Love the finish under the broiler for that golden topped beauty.
    Every table full on a Wednesday when the weather is unpleasant. Hmm. Maybe folks are already on to a good thing.

5. Vincci
    April 29, 2010 at 8:29 am

I’ve been eyeing the space for the longest time because I tap dance just across the street at DJD! Nice to hear that service was quick – a lot of the reviews at Urbanspoon say otherwise.

6. thepinkpeppercorn
    April 29, 2010 at 9:19 am

mmm, all day breakfast…. now if only I could eat breakfast all day (literally!). Thanks for the review Julie.

7. Kelly
    April 29, 2010 at 9:59 am

Good to know we are not the only ones that sometimes eat cereal and toast for dinner!!

8. Vivian
    April 29, 2010 at 11:10 am

That place is so-o-o cute! It’s on the map for my next visit to your fair city!

9. Hailey
    April 29, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Thanks for the review, Julie. I’ll have to try it out ๐Ÿ™‚

10. Barb
    April 29, 2010 at 1:44 pm

This lookd like a super spot!

11. Manon from Ontario
    April 30, 2010 at 7:48 am

Hmmmm that looks good, I love having breakfast at a good restaurant, it’s an excuse to overeat ;p

By the way, just wanted to let you guys know that We will be on Regional Contact on May 15 at 6:30p.m. here in the Ottawa Valley Region. They will present our church renovation business and our maple\orchard here at our domain.

Julie could you please send me a message as I had a HD crash on my computer and lost everything… clerouxram@xplornet.com

Have a great weekend ๐Ÿ™‚

MFO

12. jen
    April 30, 2010 at 2:07 pm

mm, i’ve been wanting to try this place for awhile now. yum, will be checking that place out this weekend ๐Ÿ™‚

13. Adrian
    May 1, 2010 at 12:25 pm

My litmus test for Eggs Benny is ‘real’ Hollandaise (with butter, of course!)- so disappointing when they use packaged Hollandaise.

14. rip off report
    December 15, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Thanks for finally writing about >Breakfast at Red’s | Dinner With Julie <Loved it!