Chocolate Peanut Butter Birthday Pie

Peanut+butter+pie

Although I ate a ton this weekend, I didn’t actually cook any of it. For real.

(So then why is my kitchen still a total disaster?)

It’s not that the kitchen sat empty – Mike used it. He made me a peanut butter pie.

A month or so ago I stumbled across this, and emailed a few people who I knew may be on birthday cake duty with the subject line: I want this for my birthday. And so he made it.

I know – first meat hand, now peanut butter pie. Will the romance ever end? Give me coffee in bed and peanut butter pie over roses and diamonds any day.

And it was delicious, even. Ringed with salted peanuts he crushed in the mortar & pestle and carefully topped with chocolate curls Sue (who flew in from BC) and I could hear him struggling with from the other room. This is all that was left this morning – my mom and dad bickered over how much had been left and how teeny a sliver each had had from the already miniscule leftover wedge.

My parents had a small roomful of some of my favourite people over to -what else?- eat. The theme was duct tape. (If you look closely, A -above- is wearing a duct tape portrait of John Cusack. That girl knows how to accessorize.) My mom and sisters made Guinness pie, and a sweet, sticky, clove-y roast ham my sister makes once in awhile, surrounded by quartered Bosc pears and cranberries that wind up roasting in the ham juices, and scalloped potatoes, and a big salad, and there was another salad of teeny multicoloured tomatoes that my 20 year old nephew made. And spiced pecans, nachos and guacamole and soft apricots and sage leaves wrapped in bacon and broiled.

And now, closing in on 11 again, buzzing on mini Wonderbars while fading fast, still having not caught up on sleep (it seems even the knowledge of a parent’s birthday does not prevent 5 year olds from waking up on Saturday mornings when it’s still dark – and in fact is further encouragement to be even more pokey-in-the-face than usual) I’m drawing a blank on what else to tell you about it all. And I’m determined not to start this week with a severe sleep deficit. So I’ll pull a To Be Continued. (Although we all know I’ll more than likely go off on some other tangent next time I’m here.)

About Julie

You May Also Like

38 comments on “Chocolate Peanut Butter Birthday Pie

1. Kathy - Panini Happy
    October 31, 2010 at 11:06 pm

You gotta love a man who’s willing to break out the mortar & pestle in the name of pie! It looks positively fantastic as well as the rest of the dinner spread. Happy birthday to you!

2. Merry120
    October 31, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Mmmm….that pie looks heavenly. Glad to hear you had a great birthday!

3. Aussie Farm Princess
    November 1, 2010 at 3:54 am

I am so glad such a special lady felt special on her birthday :+) LOVE the birthday cake!! Thank you for brightening my days often with your blog Julie.

4. Jennifer Jo
    November 1, 2010 at 4:58 am

Happy birthday, Julie! Sounds like it was a humdinger!

5. Deb
    November 1, 2010 at 6:50 am

Hope you had a wonderful birthday Julie. One of my kids will love that pie for his birthday too — will finally be able to replace the oreo cookie, strawberry icecream one he say on a magazine cover 20 years ago, and has asked for most years since!

6. Tanya
    November 1, 2010 at 7:23 am

Oh WOW … can’t stop looking at the pie pic … oh WOW … must make this sometime.

Tanya

7. Cathy N in Inglewood Calgary
    November 1, 2010 at 7:47 am

What a guy! The pie looks fantastic and I’m sure tasted even better :-) The ultimate peanut butter ball!! Glad you had such a lovely birthday celebration surrounded with family…

8. CathyD
    November 1, 2010 at 8:35 am

I have one complaint about the party on Saturday night: B cannot stop talking about the ham or the guiness pie. Now I must make both ASAP :)

9. Vincci
    November 1, 2010 at 10:01 am

You lucky lady! Happy birthday yet again!

10. Sharon
    November 1, 2010 at 10:07 am

Could we clone this guy?

That pie…!

11. Erica B.
    November 1, 2010 at 10:18 am

D’you think M could give T some lessons? Coffee in bed and pie?! Bravo Mike!(*pssst* score bonus points by cleaning up too next time hehehe)

Sounds like a fantastic weekend! If it weren’t for all the candy in the house I’d go make this pie today. :)

12. Deborah
    November 1, 2010 at 10:21 am

I second Erica B! I think most hubbies need lessons!

Mine certainly does.

13. megan @ whatmegansmaking
    November 1, 2010 at 12:09 pm

That pie looks incredible! I want to make it as soon as possible :)

14. Robyn
    November 1, 2010 at 2:21 pm

chocolate and peanut butter are the cornerstone of any great birthday celebration!

15. molly
    November 1, 2010 at 4:15 pm

YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By which I mean, I plan to make this at the next opportunity.

16. Jan (Family Bites)
    November 1, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Happy Birthday, Julie! It looks like you had a fabulous feast.

17. Cheryl
    November 1, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Sounds like a heavenly birthday, surrounded by people who love you. And love what you do but still reward you. Happy Birthday and have a fantastic time on your trip.

18. wanda
    November 1, 2010 at 11:23 pm

Happy Birthday Julie! The pie looks wonderful. Two of my favorite things put together.

19. Rambles with Reese
    November 2, 2010 at 3:27 am

The last one looks absolutely delicious.

p.s. Happy Birthday Julie!!!! Hope it was a good one!

20. natalie - ga
    November 2, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Hope you had a wonderful birthday! We had your coconut cilantro pork rack tonight. We all loved it.

21. Kendra
    April 18, 2013 at 11:58 am

My spouse and I stumbled over here by a different web address and thought
    I might as well check things out. I like what I see so i am
    just following you. Look forward to looking at your web page for a second time.

22. A Greek chorus of historical figures, including Leonardo da Vinci
    and 19th-century politician Giuseppe Garibaldi, add
    rueful comment on the characters and their troubles while arguing about Italy’s
    distressing current state of affairs. The last thing you would want is to have your viewing
    dominated by an overlay large screen. Wine and beer is served on Saturdays
    and Sundays beginning when the Cinema opens its doors, which is generally at 11:30 a.

my webpage the amazing spider-man 2 sous-titres fr

23. androids dream characters
    July 28, 2014 at 9:33 am

Integration of such Mobile internet device with Smartphone will be possible in near future and it can
    even be integrated as part of your office equipment or home office , as
    HP is the first Company to incorporate their Mobile Tablet device to be supplied with the
    office jet Printer ( Hp Photosmart estation ) as
    a remote control for the printer, when the
    HP MID remote tablet can be used for social Networking purpose for sharing of picture , or managing of data or document ,
    and print on demand specifically when the Unit is plug to the
    printer for processing of important print data or pictures.

I was really getting worried about him and probably my expressions
    gave it away because a guest had to come up to me and felt the need to explain that
    the father’s obsession with internet was not a
    bad sign. The most cost effective element of these new androids from Tracfone prepaid is the free triple minutes for life, triple data for
    life, and triple text messages for life that
    come included in the price of these phones.

24. android apps gta 5 pc installer
    July 28, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Although the company has been around for quite some time, Videocon is just now starting to focus its
    energy on reflecting the ever-changing nature of this generation’s youth and
    the technological advances that go along with it.
    You by no means know, this will likely not impact you at all for dozens of transactions after
    which the following time, you’ll get that tremendous pores
    and skin cream on Friday instead of having to attend till Monday.
    With the current release of new Androids handsets from major brands like Motorola,
    HTC, and Google, the Android developer local community has been provided a increase to
    crank out good good quality Android software package.

25. android antivirus
    July 28, 2014 at 3:39 pm

As more and more people all over the world become more and more mobile with mobile phones and other devices such as
    i – Phones, i – Pods, Androids, and Blackberries, there is a large share
    of the existing online market that is being missed by businesses whose websites do not as yet have mobile
    versions. While most Android devices include Bluetooth, which will enable you to stream music from your
    have the needed Bluetooth module on their home or car stereos.
    Such Major contracting facilities in China has also supported many sub- contractors , who build-up to hundreds of companies whom offered sub manufacturing for
    component parts or services like software integration to final end product to
    be assembled by the Bigger Manufacturing plant.

26. android store vs apple store
    July 29, 2014 at 1:36 am

The reader gets the feeling that the robotics companies made the contract not only to prevent a robot
    uprising, but also to discourage any sympathetic humans
    form sheltering androids who want to gain full civilian rights.

While most Android devices include Bluetooth, which will
    enable you to stream music from your Android device to any Bluetooth capable device, not all Android smartphone owners have the
    needed Bluetooth module on their home or car stereos.

5″ AMOLED capacitive screen aiding touch to zoom, social networking integration, an 8 megapixel full focus camera with dual LED flash, a front-facing camera, 720p HD video capture and playback, On Demand Web TV, and GPS you can create, discover, and show a world of creativity.

27. androids dbz list
    July 29, 2014 at 1:59 am

Navigating through the interface is absolutely accessible in both account and mural modes, acknowledgment
    to the on-screen QWERTY keyboard and the accelerometer allows these two angle to be afflicted with ease.
    We are already seen artificial parts used in the
    medical industry to help people with lost limbs in the future these robotic arms and legs will run by way of wireless devices in be controlled by thought from the brain. The
    e mails really contain a locked picture of the first frame of your video and when your
    recipient clicks on the play button they redirected to a locked website that really plays the
    video, however the way this is done is well enough no one is going to
    be distracted by such a minor detail.

28. androids bible apps for pc
    July 29, 2014 at 2:31 am

The easiest way to get the correct function signatures in the native library is to first
    write down their Java prototypes, and then use the
    javah tool to generate the native JNI header with native function prototypes.

Such open features allow its operating system to
    be used by many tablets manufacturers, both Big and small tech companies
    like Motorola – Xoom , HTC- Flyer , Samsung -Galaxy Tab
    ,Panasonic -Viera , Dell-Streak , Viewsonic- Viewpad 7 , Toshiba, Lenovo , Asus,
    , , and many even unknown manufacturers all around the world like ,
    Eken , Archos , Smartdevices,WT ,Aigo ,e – Pad, Aigo , Enso etc ,,just to name a few.
    The Android SDK can browse folders, handle files, run all Linux commands available from adb
    shell prompt, when installed in the Android SDK provides easy access
    to adb tool – it also provides access to Eclipse or the ADT Plug-in.

29. android store download
    July 29, 2014 at 3:35 am

phones and other devices such as i – Phones, i – Pods, Androids,
    and Blackberries, there is a large share of the existing online market
    that is being missed by businesses whose websites do not as yet have mobile versions.
    Dragon Ball Z Kai is one anime series that needs no introduction, because
    since the time of its start, it has been delivering to the viewers mind-boggling content, which
    is full of action and a storyline, that is completely
    out of the world. Mobile website design is extremely useful, and at the same time, it
    can be said it has become an obligation so as to alter and change
    the company’s established and conventional internet page
    into a mobile website.

30. garage door services austin
    July 31, 2014 at 7:06 pm

After checking out a handful of the blog posts on your site, I honestly appreciate
    your technique of writing a blog. I saved it to my bookmark webpage list and will be checking back soon. Please visit
    my website too and tell me your opinion.

31. best carpet cleaning san diego
    July 31, 2014 at 8:38 pm

Thanks for the auspicious writeup. It in reality used to be a enjoyment account it.
    Glance complex to far brought agreeable from you!
    By the way, how could we keep up a correspondence?

32. Miasto 44 film
    September 3, 2014 at 1:51 pm

In a few seconds, you will get a list of stores that are having DVDs
    for sale. Not only can you download the roommate movie, but you can watch all the other
    movies Find free movies watches, download the
    roommate movie, players, download the roommate online movie.
    It takes a lot of energy to hold all this information in place and as we get older and our bodily and energy systems lose their resilience,
    so we struggle to hold onto this negative energy.

Stop by my web site … Miasto 44 film

33. Sin City j'ai tué pour elle Télécharger
    September 5, 2014 at 3:48 pm

Reality based films also grab the attention of many. We guarantee your satisfaction, and we’ll make your event special and memorable for an affordable price.
    In some cases, surround sound is not possible in low frequency; however, it is not the case with Panasonic SC-PT480EB-K.

Stop by my blog :: Sin City j’ai tué pour elle Télécharger

34. Sin City j'ai tué pour elle streaming
    September 5, 2014 at 6:22 pm

The true filmaholic hears a song from the soundtrack
    and knows exactly where it comes in during the
    film. He, along with the other townspeople, watches the beautiful theater
    being demolished. With Luigi Lo Cascio, Catrinel
    Marlon, Luigi Maria Burruano.

Feel free to surf to my web blog – Sin City j’ai tué pour elle streaming

35. Sin City J'ai Tué Pour Elle Le Film
    September 10, 2014 at 7:01 pm

An assignment to visit a bar, sample a beer, purchase a snack and check out the men’s
    cloakroom is not most women’s idea of a great shopping trip but getting paid to carry out such an assignment will sound
    like a good deal to many men. But television do not provide
    the same pleasure of watching a movie as does movie theatre with its huge screen and surround sound system.
    Hence, the people are well educated and highly concerned about the development of
    the region and keenly look forward to make their lives always easy.

My weblog … Sin City J’ai Tué Pour Elle Le Film

36. Miasto 44 online
    September 14, 2014 at 10:28 am

In a few seconds, you will get a list of stores that are having DVDs for sale.
    Sometimes, depending on the store, they offer free
    shipping as long as your area is within their scope of delivery.
    Here are three tips that movie stars use to help you.

37. Sin City j'ai tué pour elle streaming
    September 15, 2014 at 1:48 am

A Greek chorus of historical figures, including Leonardo da Vinci
    and 19th-century politician Giuseppe Garibaldi,
    add rueful comment on the characters and
    their troubles while arguing about Italy’s distressing current state of affairs.
    with this special “Twiathlon” ticket, you are
    sure to be one of the first to see this epic saga continue unfolding.
    This film continues a trend in fashionable CSI-CIA-crime composing deficiencies in knowledge of the fundamental concepts
    of know-how and that i guess it should not hassle lots of individuals even so for me your
    entire plot appeared instead forced.