Eggs Baked in Bread Bowls

Eggs-baked-in-buns-1024x685
How completely awesome are these? Eggs baked in bread bowls! With a dusting of cheese, shreds of fresh herbs, or whatever bits of bacon or sausage you have lurking in your fridge. You can toast the lids alongside, then cut them into egg soldiers for dipping. Or if you’re a fan of the fried egg sandwich, YOU CAN PUT THE LID ON AND EAT THE WHOLE THING WITH YOUR HANDS. It’s like a deep dish fried egg sandwich, without the fried.

I posted the recipe over at the Family Kitchen.

About Julie

You May Also Like

16 comments on “Eggs Baked in Bread Bowls

1. stacey snacks
    January 12, 2011 at 8:58 pm

My most popular post of all time is the eggs in a bacon basket post.
    A piece of bacon wrapped around a muffin tin, then crack an egg in it and bake!
    It is always on stumbleupon and now I know why!
    Look at these adorable bread bowls!
    I have to make them!!! and I love your bagel (toad in the hole, or eggs in purgatory idea!).
    Stacey

2. Elaine
    January 12, 2011 at 8:58 pm

You had me at “bread bowls.”

3. Laurie from Burnaby
    January 12, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Oh, those are lovely! I can make bread and take one for this. Excellent! 🙂

4. Sue. D
    January 12, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Oh man! I’d take one right now, this very minute – and I’ve just finished dinner. My kingdom (serfdom?) for some bread rolls in the house!

5. rose
    January 12, 2011 at 11:12 pm

Hi Julie

What a perfectly simple but fabulous way to do eggs! We often like to have a Saturday brunch and these seem so simple to do in big quantities. Will try it soon.

How was Vancouver? Were you here for the big snow fall last night? Which was Tuesday night by the way….
    Rose

6. JulieVR
    January 12, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Big snowfall? Yes, I was there! It was beautiful snowing outside our window at Nu, beside Granville Island. But it didn’t stay on the ground much. There was a bit out my Richmond this morning, but it was mostly just wet in downtown Vancouver this morning! And cold.

7. Jess
    January 13, 2011 at 1:21 am

I am always on the lookout for something new to do with the beloved egg, and this, THIS is just awesome, Julie.

8. Julianne (Kitchen Ninja)
    January 13, 2011 at 5:47 am

Loooooooove this — so easy but so cute! Thanks, Julie.

9. Terri
    January 13, 2011 at 7:33 am

Oooh this looks like a gooder! Now the question is do I make it for dinner tonight of for brekkie on Sunday?! I know! How about BOTH!

10. Cathy
    January 13, 2011 at 10:24 am

Beautiful! Nothing beats breakfast for dinner!

11. Sam
    January 13, 2011 at 12:44 pm

i love that you’re ALL CAPS EXCITED about fried egg sandwiches(minus the fried)here – I can relate – and all Wouldn’t this be lovely on your table over there. hee hee, makes me feel like we get the “real” Julie.
    Could you add backbacon to the bottom of the bread bowl and then throw Hollandaise on top for quick eggs benny? Or is it really too much bread and definitely of the wrong type?

12. Laurie from Burnaby
    January 13, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Oh, Sam! what an excellent idea! I’m going to add some ham in the bottom of my bowl and Hollandaise on top. What a treat! 🙂

13. Deborah
    January 13, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Hey Julie – Can’t wait to try this. We love eggs and bread in pretty much any form around here. Just a question – what does the cream on top do? My husband has a lactose sensitivity, so we rarely have cream in the house.

14. JulieVR
    January 14, 2011 at 9:34 am

Back bacon! Hollandaise! You guys are brilliant! But this is not helping my cause… 🙂

15. Barb
    January 14, 2011 at 12:46 pm

This is a great idea! I’ll be trying this one.

16. leighanne
    May 26, 2013 at 12:07 am

mmmmmmmmmm… this looks ever so scrumptious and us cooked to perfection, thank u for sharing ur idea