Sautéed Chickpeas & Kale with Eggs on Toast

Still can’t get enough of the eggs and toast. Sue and I are in the midst of beanapalooza 2011 – a sleepaway camp-style three (four?) days of intensive cooking and shooting (with a camera, not lining them up on a farm gate and pegging them off with our BB gun) beans.

17 photos down (but not yet edited) and how many yet to go will be determined over the next two days. As of now we’ve ditched photographing, cooking and editing in favour of an hour long ab and cheek workout courtesy of Cake Wrecks. Reminder to self: grey icing is never a good idea.

Sautéed chickpeas and kale are easy: hot skillet, oil, chickpeas (well drained), torn kale, lots of garlic. Salt. This time I added a pinch of dried red chiles. Push everything over and fry an egg (well seasoned cast iron is nonstick – honest) and serve on toast.

About Julie

You May Also Like

11 comments on “Sautéed Chickpeas & Kale with Eggs on Toast

1. Natasha
    February 6, 2011 at 11:39 pm

I love eggs for dinner; they’re so super-easy. This sounds wonderful – and I’m always looking for more ideas of what I can do with kale. Thanks!

2. Manon from Ontario
    February 7, 2011 at 7:19 am

Julie, does well seasoned cast iron skillet = a very used and only washed with salt skillet?

Or does it mean oiled down?

Thanks for clarifying for moi :)

3. JulieVR
    February 7, 2011 at 7:41 am

Washed with salt? not at all! in fact you wouldn’t want to wash it with salt – it would be too abrasive and scratch off the seasoned surface. Some people season theirs with salt – fill it with salt and put it in a hot oven – I’ll do a little tutorial soon!

4. Cathy N in Inglewood Calgary
    February 7, 2011 at 8:28 am

Mmmmm… delish! I think I’ll make some for lunch. Thanks for inspiring me every day :-)
    Oh and I totally agree with you about a well seasoned cast iron frying pan – I have one in my kitchen here in Inglewood, which I use almost daily, and one that is over thirty years old (and getting better and better with age) on our boat moored at Quadra Island, BC. It is even coming with us on our six month voyage through the South Pacific! I wouldn’t be without it :-)

5. Debbie
    February 7, 2011 at 9:32 am

That looks fantastic! Definitely great for an after work easy dinner.

6. Stacey
    February 7, 2011 at 1:54 pm

eek! i didn’t know you were supposed to wash cast iron skillets a different way than normal pots! YAY for a tutorial!

7. sharon
    February 7, 2011 at 4:40 pm

When you can get good eggs, this is the best meal. I say that about good eggs because once you’ve tasted them you just can’t go back. Not to eat them like this for sure.

8. Carolyn B
    February 7, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Can’t wait for your new book. Title or release date yet? I’m looking forward to preordering as soon as it’s available.

9. molly
    February 7, 2011 at 7:13 pm

anchovies. add a few anchovies (or a smear of paste). seriously, even if you think you can’t stand them, anchovies + garlic + chilis + beans/greens = heaven.

back to the shoot with you… we’re all waiting!

10. Shauna
    February 7, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Sounds like a comfort meal to me. I’m roasting my first chicken right now, thanks to you. Fingers crossed that I don’t cook it to death!

11. Dana
    February 7, 2011 at 9:05 pm

I agree, grey icing is never a good choice.