Nutella Ice Cream

Nutella+Ice+cream

Lindsay – here’s the Nutella ice cream. (Because swimsuit isn’t a season for me, anyway.)

The recipe is over at the Family Kitchen.

About Julie

You May Also Like

11 comments on “Nutella Ice Cream

1. sharon
    February 9, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Hey Julie. I’m sorry but I’m not going to read your blog anymore, not even look at it. It’s just too tempting for someone like me. Every day I look here, and everyday I wonder why other people can eat Nutella ice cream (et al) and I can’t. Beautiful your writing is, but I will just have to go away.

(I’m sure you’re not going to be bereft but I thought I should say g’bye.)

2. JulieVR
    February 9, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Sharon, I’m sorry to hear it. While it’s true that some people struggle with weight and others don’t, everyone has stresses and hardships in their lives, physical or not. I learned long ago not focus on things other people seemingly have that I don’t, not only because it’s unproductive, but it works both ways. I can eat gluten, others can’t. I can see and hear and walk, others can’t. I have a healthy son, others don’t. I also don’t consider foods like ice cream to be things other people “can” have and I “can’t”. Feeling sorry for myself never helped anyone, especially me. (Unless we’re talking about a food allergy or intolerance here, previous comments and your reference to ice cream et al sounds like you mean high calorie dessert-type foods in general.)

It’s funny – years ago I was in the makeup room of a national television show, and offered the well-known host a cookie. She replied, abruptly, “I can’t eat that sort of thing – I’m not like you. It will all go to my thighs.” At the time I was at my healthiest, and probably didn’t appear to her as someone with a weight problem. I told her I had just lost 165 pounds and she was shocked. It was the first time I had been classified in general terms like that – as someone who presumably didn’t have to worry about my weight and food intake. We all tend to make assumptions of other people without really knowing the issues they deal with in their own lives. The grass is greener and all that.

And at the end of the day, it’s just a bowl of ice cream. It shouldn’t be something that triggers sadness, jealousy or guilt, or feelings of weakness or despair. I know it’s something I shouldn’t eat very often, but I adore it, and I want a life that includes ice cream. I don’t think about the fact that some people can eat tubs of the stuff and sit on their couches and not gain a pound. Who cares? I’m just grateful that I’m able to make it, enjoy it, share it, and that I’m able to go out for a walk or swim or anything I want, really, when I need to keep the balance.

3. Cathy N in Inglewood Calgary
    February 10, 2011 at 7:42 am

Mmmmm… nutella icecream here we come! I think that would be a wonderful treat for Valentine’s Day…
    and I bet Sharon will soon be sneaking back for a peek- once one gets hooked on “Dinner with Julie” there’s no going back! :-)

4. the other Al
    February 10, 2011 at 11:49 am

I want a life that includes ice cream too!!!

So what if I’m not a size 0, or 8 or 12 or…..
    I’m healthy and THAT is all I need. Life is very short, choose how you want to live it. If you allow others to dictate how you should look, then you have given a piece of yourself away. If you are comfortable with that, fine, I am not. If you have a heartbeat than you have an opportunity to make this planet better than it was before you arrived. Navel gazing is the worst possible use of your time. Clocks ticking…

5. rose
    February 10, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Love the good advice today! I think I must be one of the only few who does not like nutella! However, the cabbage/spaghetti slaw from yesterday is something I will absolutely make as I love shredded salads! Thank you, Julie.

Rose

6. Stacey
    February 11, 2011 at 8:40 am

that’s the very best part about Dinner with Julie…you eat with your eyes…Can’t get fat doing that! Although wouldn’t it be lovely if you could shape your body into a size whatever just by closing your eyes…

7. the other Al
    February 11, 2011 at 10:56 am

I had to make one more comment today as Pepsi (today or for Fashion Week blah blah)is launching its new can design for their Diet Pepsi product. A taller thinner can,with the message “thin is Beautiful” The marketers feel it will attract the female consumer.
    You know, if a person wants to get rid of fat on their body because it has become a health issue(physical) fine, but to lose it to become more beautiful/acceptable to others is disturbing. What wisdom have we allowed to be passed onto our children, if we condone this behavior. A generation of guilt ridden, unmotivated, self hating, navel gazing, consumers. Exactly what corporations want. The industry of thin, is making a fortune off of us (look at the entertainment industry-cellulite and sex sells!). Stop them! Don’t buy it! DON’T BUY INTO IT! Allow your children to live free of this message- it’s killing them (us).
    Rant over.

8. sharon
    February 11, 2011 at 11:38 am

Me too I want a life that includes ice cream. I’m not a person who jettisons categories of food to lose weight. I’m a person who is dealing with profound digestive health issues. I can’t seem to tolerate fat right now. I say, right now because I hope to solve it. But I’m very suggestible. I see those photos and I fight myself ALL day. I’m laying off food blogs. I’ve been a foodie all my life. Cooked since I was a child. Written about food and nutrition. I can’t exercise on a treadmill, in fact can’t move much at all, so there’s no option but to shift my focus. Thanks for your response.

9. sharon
    February 11, 2011 at 11:52 am

P.S. Right. Don’t buy into the food industry’s marketing. That’s pretty much the topic of the book titles I’ve posted here. And that’s something different from my woes, right now. But I’m a woman Al. Sheesh. I *know*.

10. Nurse Jenn
    February 12, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Oo la la! I think I might be in heaven. This would be a fantastic addition to a “nutty” party. I might just have to make some. Thanks for the inspiration :)

11. best cellulite cream
    September 16, 2014 at 11:22 pm

Hey! Quick question that’s entirely off topic.
    Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly?
    My site looks weird when viewing from my iphone 4.
    I’m trying to find a theme or plugin that might be able to
    resolve this problem. If you have any recommendations, please share.

Thanks!