Jelly Modern Doughnuts

Move over, cupcake.

So there I was, midmorning, minding my own business, hammering away on something or other in the spare bedroom that is my office. I got up at 6 and went to the gym. I had coffee and toast with peanut butter for breakfast. I was good until lunch.

Then came an email. Did I know about Jelly yet? Why no… do tell.

I went over immediately. (It’s on 8th St and 14th Ave, kitty corner to Kawa.)

Finally. Finally! A real doughnut shop. With none other than Grayson Sherman, who’s back from New York and the executive chef at Saint Germain, at the helm in the kitchen. Which means some local and organic ingredients. Chinook Honey, Vablella Meats, Vital Green and Lund’s Organic– carrots? Yes – in the carrot cake doughnuts with mascarpone frosting. Valbella bacon sprinkled over the maple dip with bacon. House-made marshmallows for the s’mores doughnuts. A chef’s special creation every Saturday. Doughnuts realizing their own potential.

Not only that – there are hot modern cinnamon buns all day long. (Raised dough filled with Saigon cinnamon sugar, rolled, sliced and finished with mascarpone icing.)

Did I mention the maple bacon doughnuts?

CHECK OUT THIS MENU!

This is not helping my cause. Maybe if I just run there and back?

They also do doughnut birthday platters.

They even have a nice new community room you can reserve, with a long white table and wee counter on one end. Perhaps a board meeting is in order, or some sort of meeting of the minds (and stomachs) over freshly made doughnuts. Or just coffee and doughnuts in a private room with a dozen of your favourite people.

I thought you should know.

Maybe we should all go for doughnuts sometime.

Jelly modern doughnuts: 100 1414 8 street SW, phone 403-453-2053

Monday to Friday 7:00am – 6:00pm
Saturday 8:00am – 6:00pm
Sunday closed

About Julie

You May Also Like

25 comments on “Jelly Modern Doughnuts

1. Pierre
    April 27, 2011 at 11:09 pm

I don’t think I’m ready for this jelly… these doughnuts are too bootylicious for me, babe…

2. Lana in South Mountain (ON)
    April 28, 2011 at 6:49 am

Oh. My.
    Bacon on a maple donut? Of course.

3. Robyn
    April 28, 2011 at 6:49 am

i’m coming to calgary this summer to visit friends, and obviously this will be my first stop!!

4. Jen Sorenson
    April 28, 2011 at 7:26 am

A donut shop that is closed on Sunday really knows that it has something good.

5. angela
    April 28, 2011 at 8:48 am

the calgary breakfast show was at the donut shop this morning, the kids were having fun. cant’ wait to try one next time i’m downtown

6. Vivian
    April 28, 2011 at 9:28 am

Oh, oh, oh…and OH again! Definitely on my list for the next Calgary visit. Now I must alert my friends to JELLY! Just curious as to how the “filling” stays in place. Each doughnut must sit on something, right? The sooner I get there, the sooner I’ll know. Thanks for the tip, Julie.

7. Christina
    April 28, 2011 at 9:33 am

Why? Why Julie? What did I ever do to you to deserve such torture!! HAHAHA I JOKE!! I JOKE! But really, Jelly MD looks kinda the way I imagine heaven will be!! I’m going to have to go there and experience a little bit of heaven on earth! HAHA!

8. Cheryl F
    April 28, 2011 at 11:58 am

Salted Caramel in November…..

Oh my.

9. jen @ chocolateandginger.com
    April 28, 2011 at 1:24 pm

I was so enthralled with your post last night, I headed over this morning just after 7am to get my fix…soo worth it…

Love the maple bacon (nice salty, savoury and sweet combo) and the smore one was amazing too (love that melty marshmallow center).

Thanks for the droolworthy pics 🙂

10. Lori
    April 28, 2011 at 2:00 pm

It’s the perfect walking distance from home. LOVELOVELOVE!

11. Alison
    April 28, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I’m going to be in Calgary for about 24 hours next month, and this is now tops on the list! Other than the wedding we’re attending, of course.

12. Carolyn
    April 28, 2011 at 4:48 pm

My five year old and I went immediately this morning too! What else was there to do in a blizzard! We tested the S’more and Marshmallow while reading one of the best books ever Arnie the Doughnut! Very yummy not too sweet. I think I need to test the classic jam next time. We brought home the lemon curd for big sister who was at school and Bacon Maple for Dad.

13. Nurse Jenn
    April 28, 2011 at 5:24 pm

While in a brief lull at the hospital last night, my nursing friends and I poured over the website. I’m making a trip there next week. I’m absolutely excited to try the peanut butter version … and some others.

Thanks for introducing this to me 🙂

14. lovetocook
    April 28, 2011 at 7:11 pm

These are your friends? Back to the elliptical!

15. Erica B.
    April 28, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Wow! Looks delicious-the size definitely puts it in the sometimes food category.

16. rea
    April 29, 2011 at 8:03 am

this is dangerous information, Julie.

17. Stacey
    April 29, 2011 at 12:54 pm

I have been staring at this post for 2 days, flipping back and forth to the menu and the pictures, thinking of the right words to comment with…then i realized that there are no words, just drool. mmmmm….mini donuts…..mmmmmm…whoopie pie….i can feel the sugar rushing through my blood, and all i’m doing is licking the monitor, and thinking “Road Trip!!!”

18. Melanie
    April 29, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I love donuts. Please can we have a meeting there? I can make an agenda and take minutes.

19. Danielle
    April 30, 2011 at 3:35 pm

I was there today. Got the Maple Bacon. best doughnut I’ve ever had.

20. Robyn in Mountain (Ontario that is)
    May 1, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Mmmmm! Do they deliver to Ontario?

21. lisa
    May 11, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Love Jelly Modern Doughnuts!!!!! Move over cupcakes!! Just ran 7km then did the stairs in Calgary 5 times yes 5 times walked home straight towards the Doughnuts!!! Could even wait until I got home ate my Doughnut on the side walk!!! So divine. Its gotta be a sin!! Best doughnut Ive ever had!! I got to get back to Victoria!!

22. Mike D
    July 3, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I was excited to learn that Jelly brought the maple bacon donut to my city. I became a fan of the maple bacon donut when I had tasted the original at dynamo donuts in SanFransisco’s mission district. Sadley, I have to say that there is no comparison and that if I want a truely awsome maple bacon I will have to wait until SFC. I file this in the hope that they try to revamp the product, hopefully after visiting dynamo.

23. Leland
    January 13, 2016 at 9:38 am

Sales guy dropped a box at the office. I had the coconut and… it was the best doughnut I have ever experienced!! Fluffy freshly baked, not too sweet and loads of flavor this is way beyond my descriptive capability. I had to find the logo on the box and share this experience to the whole world!!… must locate and try different flavor. Thanks Jelly Modern Doughnuts!!!