Tofino Coffee Co.

I was afraid I’d be repeating myself, telling you about all the same places we visit each time we’re out in Tofino. But today we stumbled upon a new find: a brand new coffee company, roasting organic beans every day in a wee warehouse space barely big enough to accommodate the shiny new roaster, grinders and espresso machine.

The owner, Michael, who reminds me of the Dude (in the most awesome way), and who also owns Groovy Movie (a movie and cruiser bike rental place in a weathered old house beside Chocolate Tofino) just opened Tofino Coffee Co. three weeks ago. His red espresso machine is as shiny as a new car.

His grandma’s needlepoint is on the wall. Nothing else for sale but a few brownies and bars from Red Can Gourmet, around the corner of the same building.

He made two of the best Americanos we’d ever had, for $2 apiece. A bag of freshly roasted organic beans? $7.50. (For half a pound – the same price as Kicking Horse goes for in town.)

It’s on Industrial Way, just off the main road in.

(Must get to bed – the earlier to sleep, the earlier my Americano.)

About Julie

You May Also Like

17 comments on “Tofino Coffee Co.

1. Cora
    August 1, 2011 at 6:25 am

Hi Julie,
    We were just in Tofino, but missed it 🙁 We did manage to visit the Tofino brewing company, I think it’s close by, by the climbing wall. Some great beer there! Enjoy your stay!

2. Kathy
    August 1, 2011 at 3:51 pm

a lb. of organic coffee beans for 7.50? wow! What can I do to persuade you to pick up a bag for us? kidding, sort of..LOL

3. Denise | Chez Danisse
    August 2, 2011 at 8:15 pm

His grandma’s needlepoint. I just love that. If I’m ever in Tofino…

4. kickpleat
    August 2, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Okay, I’m so going to Tofino. This coffee seals the deal. Looks delicious and like such a great find.

5. margo
    August 2, 2011 at 10:20 pm

We found some really fabulous coffee on the island; Moziro’s at Lake Shawnigan, and the Thetis Island coffee is amazing. But not 7.50 a pound! I think anyone making that drive over island to Tofino deserves great coffee for 7.50 per pound!
    : )

6. Jan @ Family Bites
    August 3, 2011 at 4:57 am

I think I need to go to Tofino now…..The place looks so cool and the prices are unbelievable.

7. Michelle
    August 3, 2011 at 9:48 am

Julie! Everytime you blog about Tofino… it makes me want to pack up my stuff and take a mini vacation.

Looks fantastically quaint (coffee and the scenery)!

8. Lesli C-Kellow
    August 3, 2011 at 5:18 pm

I would love this place! I’ve just put it on my “Must visit when in Tofino” list…thanks for sharing 😉

9. Bruce Edwards
    August 20, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I was out on the West Coast yesterday with my buddy, Don and we paid a visit to our friend, Tim May (chef/owner) of the RED CAN GOURMET. His little gem of a place…served us some pretty awesome food for lunch…..WOW!!!! Also, we both picked up some coffee at RCG from the TOFINO COFFEE CO.. I tried it today and it was fantastic…a good BUY for a GREAT PRICE!!!

10. Sonja
    October 29, 2011 at 3:22 pm

We too found the Tofino Coffee company (a day before we were leaving….. so sad…. as the coffee was GREAT! LOVED IT!! Am happy to have found such a great spot and be able to share the comment.

11. Brent
    November 3, 2011 at 10:04 am

Michael @ Tofino Coffee Company is serving up perfection in every cup. As though it is his personal mission to have an incredible coffee experience in every sip. Just minutes out of the Tofino core it is more than worth the extra few secondes to get there to find the most consistant brew every day for us locals. Thank you mike for your committment to the cause!

12. Christine
    December 12, 2011 at 11:08 am

We were in Tofino for vacation in July and I purchased coffee beans from Michael, brought them home and it was the best coffee I have ever had. I would love to purchase it and have it shipped home.

13. Tan
    August 9, 2012 at 7:10 am

lol yes very much like the dude.
    Simple the best americano’s! I am just about to finish my last bag of tofino coffee and am oh so sad.

14. http://circus-wiki.com/
    April 20, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Hi colleagues, good piece of writing and pleasant arguments commented at this
    place, I am genuinely enjoying by these.

15. percolator
    January 8, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Great post. I was checking continuously this blog and I am impressed!
    Very useful info particularly the last part 🙂 I care
    for such info a lot. I was looking for this
    certain info for a very long time. Thank you and best of luck.

16. Calisa
    July 24, 2015 at 6:17 am

Such a great post. It is really very beautiful story. I love to read this post. After read this I am knowing about tofino-coffee. Thanks for the post.