Veggie Pakoras with Rhubarb Chutney

width=

I don’t very often point people toward mixes, but I have yet to make a pakora from scratch that I’m really happy with. Not that I’ve devoted much time to it, mind you, but I don’t really have to since discovering Chatty’s, a pakora mix made in Saskatchewan.

You chop or grate onions, potatoes, cabbage, cauliflower, or whatever veggie you want to turn into a pakora, and mix it into the chickpea flour-based batter and fry them up, to serve as transport for homemade rhubarb chutney.

Marisa of Food in Jars has a new book, and it arrived on my doorstep last week. I have a backlog of new cookbooks piled beside by bed, unopened (a good problem to have, I realize), but this one I cracked immediately once Saturday morning arrived, and practically read cover to cover. I love all jar food: preserves and jams and pickles and chutneys – I love it all, and I love making it. I picked one to make on the weekend, and wanted to have a go at the rhubarb in my back yard – not that there’s anything wrong with pie, but tart rhubarb is a perfect candidate for sweet, vinegary chutney. Delish with cheese, or eaten by the spoonful. Or spooned over a warm pakora.

About Julie

14 comments on “Veggie Pakoras with Rhubarb Chutney

1. margo
    June 27, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Wow, those (both) look amazing! But, the real reason I comment is my son and his wife are visiting Tofino for the first time soon, and I know Julie and many a reader of this blog are experienced with the Where-to-eat (or get a great coffee) in Tofino.
    Any recommendations?

• JulieVR
      June 28, 2012 at 7:23 am

Yes! Tofino Coffee Co – in the Industrial Park – there is a sign on the main road, turn off and then turn right into the first little parking lot. http://www.dinnerwithjulie.com/2011/08/01/tofino-coffee/ Red Can Gourmet is in there as well! http://redcangourmet.com/

• JulieVR
      June 28, 2012 at 8:00 am

And Cafe Vincente on the man drag (beside the bookstore) and the Wick has a great coffee shop – both with free wireless too!

• JulieVR
      June 29, 2012 at 8:29 am

Oh I missed the eat part! Go to Tacofino for SURE (in the parking lot on the right on the way in to town – we call it the Tofino mall!) – also there: the Wildside Grill (also a must – http://www.wildsidegrill.com/) and Chocolate Tofino, where they make their own ice cream and waffle cones! Also recommend Shelter and SoBo for places to eat in. Enjoy!!

2. Rachel
    June 28, 2012 at 7:40 am

Mmm…we call these bhaji (Southern India). Never tried them with rhubarb chutney, though!

3. Aruna
    June 29, 2012 at 7:17 am

The batter for pakora is very easy –

1 1/2 c besan (chickpea flour)
    pinch baking soda
    turmeric
    red chili powder
    salt
    cumin seeds
    1 c water
    chopped cilantro (optional)

I usually don’t measure the spices but I would guess about a heaping tsp of each.

• JulieVR
      June 29, 2012 at 8:27 am

Awesome, thanks! I was hoping someone would offer up their own recipe! I’m going to give them a try!

4. Steph McVox
    June 29, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I recently made the chutney from your own site (in the pork tenderloin post) and it is my favourite chutney!! I don’t even want to try making another another one, though I do like the Food In Jars site and made her rhubarb vanilla jam – delish!

5. Laurie from Burnaby
    June 29, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Thanks for the recipe, Aruna.I’ve wanted to use my chickpea flour.
    Margo, also try the food truck. It’s delicious!
    Julie, I really like these. Pakoras are one of my delights. :)

6. margo
    June 29, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Thanks so much for highlighting the Tofino spots-to-go; I’d passed on the coffee ones, and now will pass on the eateries! I only wish I could go along… but I did put in a request for a pound of that coffee. : )

7. Jess
    July 1, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Hi! I know I’m really more of a quiet follower but I wanted to let you know that I really enjoy your blog, and just nominated you for a Versatile Blogger Award over on mine! http://floptimism.blogspot.com/2012/07/paying-it-forward-with-versatile.html

8. Jen @ Savory Simple
    July 2, 2012 at 1:46 pm

These look so good! Rhubarb chutney sounds like a perfect compliment.

9. Jennifer
    July 13, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I am dying to make these, but where to find either pakora mix or chickpea flour in Calgary? We live in Marda Loop area. Thanks!