Meet Ron Finley

I’m out tonight, hanging out at the new SAIT Downtown Campus with some of the most interesting people contributing to Calgary’s food scene – and chefs Paul, Michael, Andrew and Darren are cooking.

Ron Finley came to speak – he’s a guerrilla gardener, a planter of food forests in abandoned lots, along curbs and traffic medians in south central LA. I got the chance to hang out and chat with him at the end of the evening, after scribbling notes on scraps of paper as he spoke. (Highlights: “Growing your own food is like printing your own money.” “The soil is my canvas.” “If you ain’t a gardener, you ain’t a gangsta.” “Just grow some shit.”)

Since I didn’t cook, I thought I’d share his TED Talk – it makes for good bedtime watching for anyone eager to get into the back yard and start digging.

About Julie

7 comments on “Meet Ron Finley

1. Avery
    May 7, 2013 at 11:23 pm

Love it! Love what he’s doing!

2. Misty
    May 8, 2013 at 12:45 am

I love that our world has people like this in it. This makes me want to get out of my comfy chair and pick up a shovel!

3. ml
    May 8, 2013 at 9:12 am

4. Renee
    May 8, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Oh my God! I love this guy! So inspiring. Sounds like a great night.

5. Susan
    May 8, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Thanks for sharing Julie! I’m definitely going to plant some shit! :)

We have a huge back alley, I’m going to transplant some raspberry bushes to fill the space along the fence – and let everyone help themselves!!!

6. Shelli@howsitgoingeh?
    May 16, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Wow!!! That Ron Finley is bomb!!! I wish I got to see him speak! I just moved to Canada from Los Angeles + it’s crazy how many people have diabetes + little access to fruits + vegetables in the inner city. It’s gangsta to take control of your life + your health!!! Thanks for sharing this!

7. Suzanne de Cornelia
    May 25, 2013 at 3:48 am

LOVE Him and LOVE what he’s doing.

One Ron Finley is worth more than a 1000 Monsantos.

Hope he can scale his idea across the country.

I’m inspired to go plant some sh*t and can’t wait for his book to come out.

Thanks TED….GREAT choice.