Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Smashed Blackberries

marionberry pancakes 3
marionberry pancakes 1

Despite my gloomy weekend forecast, it turned out to be a pretty fantastic Saturday, all sunny and blue-skied, and filled with very regular Saturday things – an early morning toy sale, a kids’ soccer tournament, backyard gardening, a birthday party, a slumber party… and now the morning after the slumber party, when pancakes are clearly in order.

I personally use sleepovers (and Sundays-I’m not picky) as an excuse to make things like these smashed blackberry pancakes, which I’ve had in mind since becoming hopelessly hooked on Portlandia (totally old news, I realize, but recently available on Netflix in Canada so new to us) – one episode of which is dedicated to the pursuit of a stack of Marionberry pancakes. (Marionberries are just a variety of blackberry native to Oregon.) And so this week when I couldn’t sleep due to too much coffee or too much worry or just those nitpicky voices that sneak up and attack you when your defenses are down, I focused my mind on this episode and in particular, the stack of Marionberry pancakes they were (spoiler alert!) rewarded with at the end. On Friday I gave in, went to the store and dropped $4 on a half pint of blackberries just so I could get them out of my head and into my stomach.

marionberry Collage

Although on the show -being a series of satirical comedy shorts based in Portland- the pancakes themselves were multigrain and vegan (natch), I figured smashed blackberries (smashed because they appear as a sort of chunky sauce on the show, and that was the visual that lived in my head all week) would go well with lemon-ricotta pancakes, don’t you think? And conveniently I had a tub of ricotta in the fridge left over from an unmade lasagna.

marionberry pancakes 2- text

Since Bobby Flay had a guest appearance on this particular episode, helping them spend 241 days developing the perfect pancake formula, I used his lemon-ricotta pancake recipe as a stepping stone, then smashed blackberries with sugar to blop overtop. You can do this in a bowl – crush fresh blackberries with sugar or maple syrup using a fork and bowl, or do it in a small saucepan and warm it as you go, melting the sugar and making a warm, chunky sauce to pour over your (presumably also warm) pancakes.

AuthorJulie

Category

Ingredients

Directions

Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Smashed Blackberries

About Julie

You May Also Like

10 comments on “Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Smashed Blackberries

1. Sharon @ Red Poppy | Pink Peony
    June 2, 2013 at 11:05 am

This looks amazing! Good to know what marionberries are, too. Bobby Flay has that brunch show where he always makes really appetizing food.

2. Lori
    June 2, 2013 at 11:24 am

I just watched that a couple nights ago, and didn’t see Bobby Flay. Was he in disguise? I can’t believe I missed him.
    Maybe I was too focused on Tim Robbins…..

3. Lori
    June 2, 2013 at 11:33 am

Ok, just googled it and mystery solved, didn’t see the long version, just the regular show. What a relief, I thought I was losing it.

• Julie
      June 3, 2013 at 7:53 am

Lori – Sorry for the slow reply! I’ve been trying to stay off my computer for the weekend! Yes, there’s a longer version (a little annoying as you have to watch the short version all over again) – I fell asleep toward the end of the Bobby Flay part!

4. Rana
    June 2, 2013 at 7:46 pm

I have recently moved to an area of BC where blackberries grow wild and crazy! I have a good neighbour who picked oodles of blackberries last Fall and has been passing them off to me – bags and containers at a time. I’ve made crisps and grunts and smoothies and, of course, in a bowl with cream and sugar; now to make smashed blackberries for our waffles in the morning. THanks for yet another idea to use and enjoy our abundance of blackberries.

• Julie
      June 3, 2013 at 7:51 am

Rana – I miss living in Vancouver, where we could go blackberry picking in late summer and bring home buckets of them (and plenty of scratches from those vines!) I used to try to drive them home to Calgary, but they just wouldn’t last…

5. bellini
    June 4, 2013 at 6:07 am

Blackberries are my favourite and I am sure the ones I have frozen in the freezer would be a perfect foile for these pancakes.

6. Laura
    July 21, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Can I please come to breakfast? 😀

7. Melanie
    August 14, 2013 at 1:24 pm

I just ordered a big case of blueberries from the $40 box guy… I might be up for sharing 😉