Lemon Meringue Pie

Lemon meringue pie 1

One thing I know for sure: Dads love lemon meringue pie.

And lemon tarts, and lemon squares… a friend who used to own a dessert shop told me that delicate pavlovas filled with lemon curd were her biggest sellers among men. Which I find mildly amusing – doesn’t chocolate come across as more manly? Lemon as more dainty and baby shower-ish?

Lemon meringue pie Collage 1

I have been wrong before… maybe dudes appreciate a good pucker? I’m sure there are exceptions to the rule, but in my world, the guys dig lemon. And so I made a pie – from scratch, not a pouch – for father’s day dinner. A super easy process wherein you whisk sugar, cornstarch, egg yolks and lemon just as you might whisk a mix and water, then pour it into a baked pie shell (which must also be made of graham crumbs in my world). Dinner was braised bison short ribs with espresso and balsamic (a longer story I’ll save for later), and as plates were being cleared, I was mixing up meringue. (I didn’t say I was on the ball about all this.) There is something about successfully beating egg whites into a massive mound of shaving foam that makes one feel all pastry cheffy.

Lemon meringue pie Collage 2

The biggest issue home bakers seem to have with the meringue that tops pies is its tendency toward weepiness and sliding around; you can solve this (or at least minimize it) by piling on the meringue while the filling is hot; the theory is (or fact?) that the steam then travels through the meringue, kickstarting the cooking process while getting rid of all that moisture (rather than let it stop and hang out on the surface of the filling). Make sure you spread it right to the edge, too, so it can grip the crust and not shrink. Shrinkage is not as popular as lemon meringue pie.

AuthorJulie

Category,

Ingredients

Directions

Lemon Meringue Pie

About Julie

You May Also Like

8 comments on “Lemon Meringue Pie

1. bellini
    June 17, 2013 at 12:43 am

Lemon meringue pie has always been my favourite. When asked what birthday cake I wanted I always said lemon meringue pie:D

2. CathyH
    June 17, 2013 at 12:31 pm

My all time favourite dessert too! Thank you for this.

3. Tavleen
    June 17, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Wow! This looks amazing.. I would love to give this a try, thiugh I am not much of a pastry expert.

4. Laurie from Burnaby
    June 18, 2013 at 11:19 am

I’m not a guy, but lemon meringue has always been my favourite dessert. I don’t like sweet things, so the bite of lemon is crucial to me. I’m very disappointed if I buy a lemon meringue pie in a store and it’s sickly sweet.
    I love pies like yours 🙂 (I’d cut the sugar back a bit)
    I also love lemon squares, and pavlova 🙂

5. kathy
    June 18, 2013 at 8:32 pm

i made one, with a regular crust, couple weeks ago. I got a sudden craving and had a crust rolled up in the fridge and a bag of lemons. So I too figured I’d made one from scatch instead on a pkg. Also I was just to lazy to get in the van and go to the store. I’m pretty sure I even used the same recipe. But I was kinda disappointed—the corn starch flavour was soo over powering. I even used more lemon juice cause I really like it on the tart side. No one mentioned the cloying cornstarch taste, and I thought it might have to sit overnight maybe then the flavour would change….but it didn’t. It ended up in the bin. I’ve lost the craving for lemon pie. I’d like to know what’s in the stupid pkg that replaces the cornstarch, do you think it might be potato starch. I’ve never noticed that potato starch adds any taste when I use it in stir fry sauces. Maybe next time.

6. Chrisanthi
    June 28, 2013 at 10:07 am

I use your recipe from your book “Starting Out” or as I call it “my cooking bible” and it was amazing!

7. Amye Mae
    June 18, 2015 at 2:50 pm

I’m obviously so late to the game here, but I came across one of your pie recipes and now I can’t stop pinning them! Everything looks gorgeous. This recipe, especially, is making me feel like I should finally tackle a meringue. Fingers crossed!

8. vivian
    March 27, 2016 at 7:06 am

I made this lovely pie for Easter dinner last night and it was a delicious, perfect ending to dinner. Thank you!