Butter Chicken Naan Pockets

butter chicken naan pockets 4

Butter chicken and naan are totally gaga for each other, don’t you think? It’s tough to have one without the other. And so I wrapped butter chicken in naan dough, then baked it into a sort of butter chicken calzone. With or without cheese, it’s one of our new favourite things to eat around here.

butter chicken naan pockets Collage 1

I originally wrote this recipe for the April issue of Parents Canada – streamlining it for print with the use of bottled sauce. You could, of course, use any butter chicken recipe you like, or even use takeout. Once cold, it will easily spoon into the middle of a circle of dough without running amok; you can then top it with a wee mound of grated cheese and seal the pocket to bake into a gooey pocket – I want to give them a go on the grill, and see if the added char will make them even more reminiscent of the smokey flavour naan gets from a traditional tandoori oven.

butter chicken naan pockets Collage 2

Bonus: they happily go into lunchboxes (six days of school to go!) and are pretty perfect for picnicking, too.

AuthorJulie

My son will LOVE these!

2. Barb
    June 18, 2013 at 8:13 pm

You. Are. A. Genius!

3. kathy
    June 18, 2013 at 8:46 pm

i heard this on cbc this morning, thanks for posting it. this def looks like something to take on road trips on for lunchs. I haven’t made butter chicken for ages, I’m going have to buy some chicken cause now I’ve got the craving. Your recipe says bottled sauce. Have you ever tried Sandy Richard’s recipe. I”m sure it came out of one of her books I’ve used it many times. It’s just the most amazing recipe. Better than anything I’ve ever found in a restaurant or takeout joint. You should give it a try. I usually put it on low heat after the chicken gets thrown into the sauce. Cover and cook it slow and low. Until the chicken is falling apart. Just use heinz soup. Campbells won’t do.

I bet you won’t be able to stop dipping naan bread into the sauce while it’s cooking?

4. Laurie from Burnaby
    June 18, 2013 at 9:34 pm

oh . my . goodness!
    We had butter chicken tonight (my fiancee made the sauce) but this is incredible!
    I have to try it!
    Yum Yum
    😀

5. Paul
    June 19, 2013 at 1:09 am

I have never seen this recipe before, but it looks absolutely delicious! Who needs breadcrumbs when you can use this approach 🙂

6. Jan @ Family Bites
    June 19, 2013 at 10:17 am

You wrote this recipe for me and my road trip, right? 🙂

7. Lana
    June 21, 2013 at 8:22 am

I just really started to watch what I’m eating and now THIS?? THese are RIGHT up my alley- savoury, bread and cheese. YUMMY.

8. Chris Caldwell
    July 13, 2013 at 1:39 am

Congratulations. You have created the greatest calzone OF ALL TIME! Seriously, sometimes you read a recipe and think, “Where has this been all my life?”

9. sara
    July 21, 2013 at 4:59 pm

We made this for dinner tonight…AMAZING. So delicious!! Thanks so much for sharing…totally in love! 🙂