Crabapple Tarte Tatin

crabapple tarte tatin

This morning I:

Woke up dreaming of Aretha Franklin in slippers.
Fumbled around in the dark without contact lenses to slice my newly pickled crabapples.
Burned a batch of caramel making tarte tatin.
Also burned the tip of my index finger.
Got a few crabapples in the face trying to reach the unreachable.
Spent 10 unsuccessful minutes in pursuit of a wasp in my kitchen.
Called the school to excuse my sick and coughing kid.
Put my mascara on, then sneezed.

I also:

crabapple tarte tatin 5-text

crabapple tarte tatin 6 text

Managed to bake a wee tarte tatin just in time. And drove to CBC with it steaming up my windows.

crabapple tarte tatin 4

Discovered a new use for the tinytart apples about to start falling off my tree. Using them almost whole.

crabapple tarte tatin 3

And ate tarte tatin for breakfast.

crabapple tarte tatin 2

Crabapple Tarte Tatin

September 17, 2013

I made a small version in a wee skillet - you could do this too, or cook the caramel and apples and divide it among tart tins, then cover each with a drape of pastry.

• Makes: Serves 6.

Ingredients

small or medium crabapples

2/3 cup sugar

1/4 cup butter

2 Tbsp. honey, maple syrup or Roger's Golden Syrup

Directions

1pastry for a single crust pie or 1 pkg. puff pastry, thawed

2Preheat the oven to 400°. Stem and halve your crabapples; if you like, cut out their cores.

3In a heavy ovenproof or cast iron skillet cook the sugar, butter and honey over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes, until it turns smooth and golden. Place enough apples to cover the bottom of the pan into the hot caramel and cook for another 2-3 minutes. (Pack them tightly - they'll shrink.) Remove from heat and turn the apples cut-side up using tongs.

4Roll the pastry out until it’s a little larger in diameter than the skillet(s); cover the apples and tuck in the edge of the pastry. Cut a few slits in the top and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the pastry is golden and the apples bubble around the edges.

5Carefully invert the tarte tatin onto a plate while it’s still warm. Serve with whipped cream sweetened with maple syrup.

00:00

About Julie

You May Also Like

11 comments on “Crabapple Tarte Tatin

1. Avery
    September 17, 2013 at 4:52 pm

What?! Brilliant. I thought I was getting pretty good at multi-tasking, but this takes the, ahem, tarte tatin. Looks delish! Hope the sniffles have moved on…

2. Renee
    September 17, 2013 at 8:05 pm

I swear Tarte Tatin is my favourite food group. That caramel! Those apples! Well done, my friend.

3. Vivian
    September 17, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Rustic yet decadent! Dreamily sweet and gooey; just the thing for an almost-fall morning, with a latte on the deck. You are frugal and inventive at the same time! (I never know what to do with my falling crab apples!) Now I do.

4. Lana
    September 18, 2013 at 8:32 am

Oh my.

5. Kate
    September 18, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Wow! You work in the wee dark hours of the morning more than I do all day!
    But, really, you need to pitch those glasses for new ones or pause to pop in your contacts…… that’s Aretha, not Anita Franklin :*)

6. Julie
    September 19, 2013 at 7:37 am

ARETHA! Yes, it is. Not sure whether I can blame that on autocorrect or not.

7. Laurie from Richmond
    September 19, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Blame it on autocorrect 🙂
    I wonder if Aretha has ever made tarte tatin out of crab apples?

8. Jane
    September 24, 2013 at 9:56 am

I made this last night for dinner with friends and it was more delicious than I could have ever imagined! I never thought crabapples could taste this good The maple whipped cream really makes it.

9. Tara Noland
    September 1, 2017 at 7:32 am

I made this yesterday Julie and it was fantastic. Easy and delicious and another way to use up the million crabapples I have. Thank you for the great recipe!

• Julie
      September 4, 2017 at 1:39 pm

Yay! It’s a crazy year for crabapples, isn’t it??