Roasted Butternut Squash Salad with Warm Cider Vinaigrette

butternut salad 2

I’ve decided after close to an hour that I don’t have much to say about this salad, except that it’s tasty, and I’ll be making it again.

My backyard greens have long since frozen solid, and I’m back to buying bins of the stuff, which mostly tend to sit in wait and go slimy in the fridge, not only because I’ve been away a lot but because I’m less inspired to eat a salad than usual. Comes with the snow, I guess – I’d rather be scooping up baked Brie with a crusty baguette.

butternut salad 1

I came home today and turned the oven on to warm the house up, and decided that if I roasted some winter veggies, I would eat them. And after the past few weeks, I could do with filling up on veggies. Turns out a butternut squash makes as fab a salad as a roasted beet – had I had goat cheese, I would have used it, but big curls of sharp Parm did the trick. Add a sweet, vinegary dressing and crunchy walnuts and you have a winner. I love that the roasted squash is still warm, and that a salad can be warm, and more interesting to eat than a pureed soup.

AuthorJulie

Category

Ingredients

Directions

Roasted Butternut Squash Salad with Warm Cider Vinaigrette

About Julie

You May Also Like

7 comments on “Roasted Butternut Squash Salad with Warm Cider Vinaigrette

1. Linda
    November 17, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Hi Julie,

This salad sounds wonderful and I can’t wait to try it.
    I think you forgot to put the cranberries in your ingredient list.

2. Aga
    November 17, 2013 at 10:35 pm

Looks delicious! Would you use fresh or dried cranberries?

3. Vivian
    November 17, 2013 at 11:27 pm

Woof! Finally something to do with the two b-nut squash languishing in the pantry. Its about time. Hate to waste them. Thank you.

4. molly
    November 18, 2013 at 8:51 am

nom nom nom…. love roasted butternut in salads.

5. Mallory @ Because I Like Chocolate
    November 18, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Fall squash salads are some of my favourites. I love adding beets too. And candying the seeds to garnish!

6. MelanieO
    November 18, 2013 at 8:13 pm

This sounds amazing and I have an abundance of butternut squash to deal with at the moment. I didn’t see cranberries in the ingredient list; I’m assuming dried cranberries and maybe a half cup or so?

7. Michael
    December 8, 2013 at 7:10 am

Julie! I made this for my dinner party last night and it was a tremendous hit! I used Rosemary Boursin for the cheese and added a little myer lemon juice (I only had one apple juice box and it wasn’t quite enough. I drank some… ). Winter hit!