Asian Kale Slaw

Asian Slaw 2

I know, I need to back away from the kale. It’s so 2013. Retro, almost? Can’t. Stop.

The thing about big salads is that when I make them they tend to wind up with loads of cheese, or bacon, or eggs, or other things that have more business being on a burger than atop a salad. Here, I mulched together only good things – kale, carrots, baby bok choy, broccoli slaw, red peppers, pea pods, cilantro, sunflower seeds – and tossed it all with sweet-tanginess spiked with sesame oil. I could feel myself becoming more virtuous as I ate it. And I’m pretty sure I can see better in the dark.

Asian Slaw Collage

I’ve eaten versions of it for three days now – leftovers do just fine with kale as a backbone – and today I drizzled the peanut sauce from our pork satay overtop, and YES.

Satay & Slaw

If I’m stingy with my words this week, it’s because I have a cookbook manuscript due in a little over a week (!!) and I’m a little tapped out. I’m powering through with slaw.

Asian Slaw 2
Asian Slaw 2

Asian Kale Slaw

Recipe link

January 21, 2014

• Makes: Serves 6.

1/4 cup canola or olive oil

1/4 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup rice vinegar

2 Tbsp. brown sugar

2 Tbsp. mirin (rice wine - optional)

1 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger

2 garlic cloves, crushed

1 tsp. sesame oil

1 bunch kale, thinly sliced (discard stems)

2 cups broccoli slaw

2 baby bok choy, thinly sliced (optional)

1-2 carrots, coarsely grated

1/2 red pepper, thinly sliced

a few pea pods, sliced or chopped

a couple green onions, chopped

a handful of fresh cilantro (optional)

a handful of peanuts or sunflower seeds

1To make the dressing, shake all the ingredients up in a jar. Thinly slice all the veggies into a bowl, drizzle with dressing and toss to coat well. If you like, let the mixture sit for a bit to marinate - this will help tame the kale. Sprinkle with sunflower seeds or peanuts and serve.

Makes: Serves 6.

About Julie

13 comments on “Asian Kale Slaw

1. Rose
    January 21, 2014 at 10:52 pm

Hi Julie
    I absolutely love shredded veggies!!!! I like the combo you’ve come up with and the dressing sounds interesting. I’m going to give it a try!
    Look forward to the cook book you’re working on….

2. Medeja
    January 22, 2014 at 12:53 am

Dressing sounds especially delicious!

3. Jaya
    January 22, 2014 at 8:49 am

I love kale salads in the winter. There’s something about those studier variety of greens and their ability to sustain the weight and richness of tahini or nut butter or heavier dressings that is perfect. Good luck with that manuscript!

4. Julie
    January 22, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Thanks guys! Now I’m wishing I still had some of this slaw stashed in the fridge…

5. Doréus
    January 22, 2014 at 5:45 pm

The slaw sounds great… what about the recipe for the souvlakis that accompany it? Simple marinated pork/chicken and grilled?

6. Julie
    January 23, 2014 at 8:22 am

You’ll find the recipe if you click the link Doreus! But yes.. marinated in OJ, soy sauce, ginger, garlic.. pretty simple!

7. Nicole Boyhouse
    January 24, 2014 at 8:12 am

Do NOT back away from the kale. MOAR KALE PLZ

8. Susan
    January 25, 2014 at 2:29 pm

Just read about your kitchen in Herald article. Your dog likes like my daughters dog. Lab and Burnese mountain dog. They could be brothers

9. Lana
    January 30, 2014 at 7:41 am

As a follow-up, I wanted you to know, Julie, that I made this for our lunches this week. We added cold leftover chicken hunks for a rounded meal. SO DELICIOUS! and it felt good to eat knowing how healthy the ingredients were :) Thanks for the recipe!

10. Doréus
    February 2, 2014 at 11:15 pm

Hi again, Julie.
    I almost felt quite stupid when I realised I had missed the link in reading your post. And I ended up making it in a modified version (as a warm salad). Thanks for the inspiration!

11. Robin
    February 7, 2014 at 11:42 am

Finally got around to making this. Ohmygosh SO delicious! Can’t wait to go home and have leftovers for lunch.

12. buy safe facebook fans
    January 4, 2016 at 1:55 pm

Excellent weblog right here! Also your website a lot up fast!
    What web host are you using? Can I am getting your affiliate link to your host?
    I wish my website loaded up as fast as yours