Salted Butter Break-Ups

Salted butter break-up

Why yes, I did choose to post salted butter break-ups for Valentine’s Day. If butter is your true love – as it is mine – this is a great vehicle for it, and one made for sharing.

Salted butter break-up 8
Salted butter break-up 7

I’m all for sharing desserts – and food in general – bringing out a big bar of bashed-up chocolate or pints of gelato with a stack of bowls and spoons for everyone at the table to dig into at their own speed is a great way to finish a meal. You’ve heard of communal tables? This here is a communal cookie. In the Poitou region of France, it’s traditionally served in one big piece, set out in the middle of the table for guests to break off in chunks.

Salted butter break-up 5

The dough is blitzed together in the food processor, then rolled out between sheets of parchment, painted with beaten egg yolk (you could colour the yolk with a drop of food colouring for a more dramatic effect) and crosshatched with the tines of a fork.

Salted butter break-up 4

If you’re like me, you’ll find this part oddly satisfying.

Salted butter break-up 6

Salted butter break-up 3

The yolk paint makes the surface smooth and glossy and buttery yellow, and you can hear the butter itself sizzling as the cookie comes out of the oven. It’s a perfect dinner party dessert, perhaps served with a bashed-up bar of dark chocolate, ice cream or fruit in season. Thanks once again to Dorie Greenspan – her book Around my French Table is one that will never be purged from my collection.

Salted butter break-up 2

AuthorJulie

Ingredients

Directions

Salted Butter Break-Ups

About Julie

You May Also Like

10 comments on “Salted Butter Break-Ups

1. Mardi (eat. live. travel. write.)
    February 14, 2014 at 10:49 am

One of my favourite recipes from AMFT. I love these dipped in a little chocolate!

2. Fiona
    February 14, 2014 at 11:29 am

Would the French be mad if I put sprinkles on top for a sprinkles-loving toddler?

3. Janel @ Creating Tasty Stories
    February 14, 2014 at 1:51 pm

I love simple butter cookies. The whole break apart aspect of this recipe makes them even more appealing to me. May make these for a late Valentine’s gift for my family tomorrow.

4. Erica B.
    February 14, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Nice! My cookbook shelves are full to bursting…but I’ve wanted AMFT since it came out>

5. Jules @ WolfItDown
    February 15, 2014 at 3:28 am

This looks heavenly Julie!
    I know exactly what you mean by “breaking bread” (or biscuits!) with people you care about, there is something so symbolic about it. I love the way people come together, pass it around, break off pieces for others, or pass it carefully over, mmmm 🙂
    I hope you had a lovely day of hearts 🙂 x

6. Julie
    February 15, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Love it all!

7. Kate
    February 15, 2014 at 4:18 pm

The egg wash and cross-hatching is so pretty. I like the darker edges. Shortbread is often under baked for my optimum enjoyment. These look perfect!

8. Robyn
    February 16, 2014 at 11:28 am

salted butter is my true love TOO!

9. Kristin
    February 18, 2014 at 12:47 pm

I absolutely adore the story behind this cookie. I can’t wait to make my own!

10. South Park The Stick Of Truth Crack
    March 13, 2014 at 5:31 am

Now, it’s time to go explore the wonderful city of South Park that you have come to know,
    but didn’t actually know it had an order to it, right.

The biggest is being able to play as four different classes.
    There are no quest generations, and grinding isn’t much of an option in this game because there are not a ton of
    enemies to encounter.