Apricot-Almond & Kidney Bean Breakfast Biscotti

Kidney bean biscotti 4

Our basement has become a virtual coffee maker museum. If you were to go down to my basement storage room, you’d find among the spiderwebs a French press, a vintage percolator I rescued from an about-to-be-torn-down house, a standard drip, a Chemex and an Aeropress, half a dozen bags of good beans and still I can’t make a decent cup of coffee. I’ve come to terms with the fact that I must rely on baristas to make them for me on a regular basis, and that yes, if I saved all the money I spent and put it in a jar I could go on a fabulous vacation every year, but I’d rather have all that good coffee.

kidney bean biscotti 2

I’m also coming to terms with the fact that I really like something carby to go with. Generally I like my cookies chewy, with a crisp edge; dry, hard biscotti isn’t my thing, but it turns out crisp, dunkable-in-coffee biscotti totally is. I may even sneak a few in my laptop bag to the coffice.

Kidney bean biscotti Collage

These biscotti are made with beans, giving them a bit of a protein boost that alleviates some of the guilt associated with eating cookies for breakfast. And if I hadn’t told you, and you hadn’t seen the recipe, you’d never know – beans don’t have a particularly strong flavour, and so they’ll go along with whatever you want them to. Generally I use white kidney beans for aesthetic reasons, but I gave red ones a go out of curiosity and they turned out a lovely pecan colour. I’ll draw the line at black beans.

Related: my kitchen is still intact. But it’s getting close! These home renos are more work than I thought, particularly with a 100 year old house. Oy. Updates soon!

AuthorJulie

Ingredients

Directions

Apricot-Almond & Kidney Bean Breakfast Biscotti

About Julie

8 comments on “Apricot-Almond & Kidney Bean Breakfast Biscotti

1. Erica B.
    May 30, 2014 at 1:44 am

I usually like my cookies crispy/chewy too, unless I’m dunking them in coffee, then bring on the biscotti. I wouldn’t have thought to sneak protein in there by making them with kidney beans, I’ll have to give it a try, thanks!

Good luck with the renos. Any repairs/changes to our 50s 1.5 storey usually takes 2x longer than expected and drives the contractors to distraction (HVAC guy was here for almost 12 hours yesterday).

2. Jules @ WolfItDown
    May 30, 2014 at 2:16 am

I was curious to see the photos of these when I saw the recipe in my newsfeed, and my – they look gorgeous! I bet they taste the part too, esepcially with a cup of coffee in the morning, mmm ^ ^
    I hope you have a lovely weekend ahead, and thanks for sharing this 😀 x

3. Medeja
    May 30, 2014 at 3:54 am

How interesting! I have never seen biscotti with beans! They look delicious!

4. christine
    May 30, 2014 at 9:04 am

These look great! I am curious if you are still using the thermomix? I am SO on the fence. We are building a vacation house and it seems like a great option for less clutter but it feels like I’ll need to learn a whole new way to cook. Any advice?

5. Jacqueline
    May 30, 2014 at 12:16 pm

One word:

Moccamaster.

It changed my barista-loving, rural-living arse.

6. Kathy
    May 31, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Our coffee formula for your basic drip coffeemaker: one tablespoon ground coffee using a Burr grinder on the medium setting to one 8 ounce cup distilled water.

Like you we have a variety of coffee making apparatus. I have never found a good formula for the French press that doesn’t make it super-strong.

The biscotti look amazing!

7. Julie
    June 1, 2014 at 9:38 pm

Christine – the Thermomix is great, but I wouldn’t say it changes my way of cooking. It would be impossible to do that at this point of my life! It took awhile for me to get used to what it can do, but now I use it for my regular cooking, and love the power that it has – if nothing else it’s the best blender I’ve ever had in my life! never had to scrape the sides, and everything comes out beautifully smooth!

8. Brenda
    June 2, 2014 at 6:28 am

Julie, I made your black bean brownies yesterday (from Spilling the Beans) and we ate the whole pan…there are only 2 of us..shameful I know…love, love, love that cookbook.