Kitchen Reno – Bare Bones

Kitchen reno 9

I realize DIY is the norm for most people – regular civilians are out there building their own decks and patching their own roofs – but we’re not as handy as we aspire to be. Even my parents are super handy in comparison, and designed and built their own house when they were ten years younger than we are. We are not those people. We’ve been staring at those chunks of missing drywall, wondering who we can call to come be our handywingman while we try to patch it up even enough to be flat, not pretty. Too bad they can’t be patched with dough or sheets of gingerbread.

kitchen renos 12

Knowing that everything had to go – we’re starting again from scratch – we began with the oven, since it was the catalyst that brought the kitchen down in the first place. I’ve known this was coming for years – I’ve stopped cleaning the oven, thinking we’re going to buy one any minute, and it has burst into flames more than once in rebuttal. About every six months we halfheartedly go oven shopping, and had narrowed our favourite stores down to a couple. (It’s easier to narrow down stores than actual ovens.)

Kitchen demo 7

Now that our trusty old GE electric oven is halfway to the back alley, we have no choice but to find a new one. I’m not exaggerating when I say I take this more seriously than choosing a new car. Which is why it has taken so many years to get to this point – home renos and procrastination do not make good bedfellows.

There are plenty of things to consider – gas? Electric? Convection? Induction? I’ll report back soon.

About Julie

You May Also Like

16 comments on “Kitchen Reno – Bare Bones

1. Jules @ WolfItDown
    July 22, 2014 at 1:57 pm

I was quite happy when I moved into a furnished flat that had a gas cooker and electric over, a bit of a hybrid, and very effective – though sometimes a little too much so… But I’ve managed to suss it out by now, s’only been nearly three months!
    I am sure the kitchen will come together eventually, one thing at a time.. I wouldn’t mind seeing it being patched up with gingerbread by the way, yum! All the best xx

2. Jackie H
    July 22, 2014 at 7:34 pm

My double oven KitchenAid was my favorite kitchen purchase. It is ceramic top and electric but I love it much more than the gas oven I had to deal with in our old place. Now I’m on a hunt for a new refrigerator.

3. carol s-b
    July 22, 2014 at 9:47 pm

I’m voting for gas! I love the instant on/instant off with gas. Having cooked with both. For me, the choice is also easier because I know most of our electricity is still coal gen. But, y’know, you really can’t do it wrong. Does it help if you think, “I can change this in 5 years if I really hate it, so this is the best option I can go with right now”?

4. Karen
    July 22, 2014 at 11:37 pm

Electric! Residential gas stoves are so wimpy compared to a commercial one it is hard to compare. I would love an induction stove as long as I knew I had the pots for it.

5. Julie
    July 23, 2014 at 1:26 am

I hated trying to clean a ceramic top. We have a gas stove now but we bought one of those portable plug-in single burner induction cookers (about $60, Costco sometimes has them) just to try – I think they’re both pretty good! I would recommend either. Gas might be a little easier to adjust the temp on than induction (because it gives you such an obvious visual – induction is so mysteriously devoid of any indicators it’s working until you suddenly have boiling water – like magic!) but induction is definitely fast and easy to clean. I didn’t have to buy any new pots for it – the ones I already owned work fine. If a magnet will stick to the bottom of your pot, it’ll work. I totally hear you on the “not handy, too many choices, let’s deal with this another day” thing – you’re awesome to have taken on the joys of owning an older house despite that! Good luck!

6. Kathryn
    July 23, 2014 at 5:33 am

The handyman who completed my (not nearly as ambitious) kitchen reno was a pastry chef in a previous life. He tells me that plastering is just like icing a cake. You’ll ace it, Julie!

7. Stephanie
    July 23, 2014 at 9:02 am

Good luck with your renos!!

8. Theresa
    July 23, 2014 at 8:58 pm

My new home has a Monogram Gas/electric combo. The oven is electric, the top has burners you can flip over to make them cradle a wok. It’s the one from top chef. Get.this.one. 🙂

9. BRC
    July 23, 2014 at 11:11 pm

I’d recommend a gas cooktop and a separate electric convection wall oven — we have an AEG that we really love!

10. Heather
    July 23, 2014 at 11:25 pm

Induction by GE–purchased one 4 months ago and am very happy!

11. Fiona
    July 24, 2014 at 12:24 am

I don’t know how much room you have, but Dakor makes a fantastic 5-burner gas cooktop that’s easy to keep clean and is only 36″ wide. I can attest to the fact that the super-burner in the middle is wickedly hot, sadly because I have burned a lot of things on it.

We have a Kitchen Aid wall oven (electric) and it’s fantastic, too.

I’m so excited to see how your kitchen turns out!

12. Tara
    July 24, 2014 at 8:46 am

Hi Julie, I love your blog.
    I just upgraded my electric coil stove to a Samsung induction flex duo oven. I LOVE it! Space was a big deal for me and this fit the bill. I was a bit intimidated by all the features, especially after having had a basic coil stove before. So most defiantly an upgrade for me.

13. Julia
    July 24, 2014 at 11:31 pm

VERY curious to see what you end up with! If I had my choice I’d go gas cooker, electric double oven. Second choice would be electric coil top cooker. Ceramic tops can all burn in hell 🙂 Gas oven will make you feel like Sylvia Plath. Interested in the induction conundrum.
    So excited to see how it all works out!

14. Chantal
    July 26, 2014 at 11:20 pm

I highly recommend the Mielle induction cook top. Nothing boils a large cauldron of water as fast and the control at low heat is amazing. The ladies at their demonstration kitchen up near the airport will convince you in minutes. It was worth every penny. I did my kitchen Reno in January, I do not recommend it, paint and lacquer smells and chaos and you can’t escape outside.

15. Michelle
    July 27, 2014 at 3:21 pm

I see people mentioning wall ovens… as someone who went from using one fairly standard rental-home range after another and moved into a house with a wall oven. I was shocked to discover that my half-sheet pans DO NOT FIT. Neither does my large roasting pan. So my advice is if you are considering wall ovens to carefully evaluate the interior dimensions. I had to go buy new sheets pans (ended up with brownie pans at 10″ x 15″)

16. domain
    October 16, 2014 at 1:25 am

It’s really a great and useful piece of info.
    I’m glad that you simply shared this useful information with us.

Please stay us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.