Back to Busy: Bubble Biscuit Pizza

biscuit pizza 2

We’ve been eating a disproportionate amount of pizza these past couple weeks… not only because it’s easy to cook on the grill (we’re currently without a kitchen), but because it’s easy and requires little in the way of dishes – just napkins that can be tossed in the garbage. (Doing dishes in the bathtub tends to make one acutely aware of just how many dirty dishes one generates.)

This particular pizza is not the thin crust variety; it’s made on thickly patted out biscuit dough, making it sort a of quasi-focaccia, but then again not really – it’s more like thick wedges of comfort; dough topped with cheese, served warm. You could, of course, add anything you might add to a pizza – and the dough itself can be stirred up in about a minute, without kneading (a bonus when you currently have no countertops) or the need to let it rise. Which means you can come home from work and have a pizza in the oven in about ten minutes – it’s also easy enough for kids to make themselves, if they’re the sort who come home hungry and like to bake.

biscuit pizza 1

We baked this in the toaster oven – one of the small appliances that has saved our collective bacon since I decided it was a good idea to tear the kitchen out in order to force us to come up with a new one. My toaster oven is old and well-used, but London Drugs asked if I’d curate a short list of small appliances that make life easier during the back to school (and work) end of summer crunch, and the toaster oven is often overlooked, I think, for its ability to do far more than melt cheese on a bagel.

toaster oven

You can bake a batch of biscuits in a toaster oven, which really is a regular oven, only mini, that sits on your countertop. Most people don’t realize you could bake a pie in a toaster oven. (And you might want to, if another heat wave comes along. Toaster ovens don’t heat up the entire house.) It doesn’t use as much power when you’re baking something small, like a banana loaf, or if you’re cooking or reheating a meal for one. (Sometimes you want crispy bits, which aren’t always possible in the microwave.) And they’re great for students with limited space – I have no idea how dorm rooms work these days, but I know I’d want some sort of kitchen setup, even if it was in a closet.

Like every other appliance, toaster ovens range from the inexpensive to the fancy (this Breville has an LCD screen and convection capabilities), but I’ve worked with many toaster ovens in many makeshift kitchens and on cooking sets over the years, and had success with most of them – I’d choose the Oster or Hamilton Beach (you can toast, bake or broil), or the Breville if you want to go higher end.

Happy long weekend, all! Enjoy this last summer hurrah.

AuthorJulie

Category,

Ingredients

Directions

Bubble Biscuit Pizza

* This post was sponsored by London Drugs to help get through the back to school crunch – and to help me pay my web hosting fees – but all words and thoughts are my own. Thanks, London Drugs!

About Julie

8 comments on “Back to Busy: Bubble Biscuit Pizza

1. margaret
    August 29, 2014 at 6:52 pm

This is a very cool idea…and I know the kids would love to make this.

2. Carolyn
    August 29, 2014 at 9:20 pm

I have the Breville Smart oven you reference in your post. I love, love, love it – often using it more than my regular oven – it holds a 9″x13″ pan. BUT after 2 years the ability to heat decreased dramatically, Disappointing for a relatively expensive appliance.

3. Jules @ WolfItDown
    August 30, 2014 at 2:24 am

This looks fantastic! Totally having my pizza cravings now, at half past ten in the morning 😛 x

4. CathyD
    August 30, 2014 at 9:22 am

I’ve always wondered about getting a toaster oven. I go back and forth, but here you had me at crispy bits.

5. Susan
    August 30, 2014 at 9:43 am

Julie, It’s funny that this post showed up as I was going to email you and ask if you had a toaster oven during your renovations. When we had the never ending 30 plus heat, I bought a Kitchen Aid counter top connection oven. After reading countless reviews, this one seemed to be the most likely choice. Costing around 100 dollars, it has been the best investment.I read lots of reviews about the unit the Carolyn mentions and that’s one of the reasons we chose the Kitchen Aid. I have made muffins, crisps, casseroles, reheated many things and just love it. Would not be without it now. When it’s too hot to use the large oven, this one jumps into service. I have a Blue Star gas range and love it,would never go back to anything else. I know that you were really thinking about what to replace your old oven with. Let me assure you, I make many of you recipes using the all gas range and the results are great. Its a matter of knowing how ones oven bakes. Looking forward to seeing your finished kitchen !

6. Jen
    August 31, 2014 at 10:54 am

This recipe looks so delicious and easy! Im excited to try it especially since it looks like everyone in my house will enjoy this one!

7. rebs
    August 31, 2014 at 8:55 pm

About a year ago I bought a toaster oven with a rotisserie option, so I’ll regularly do a rotisserie chicken, which gets used up in all sorts of recipes.

8. Rose
    September 1, 2014 at 4:38 pm

Hi Julie
    Did you cube and toss the dough as described in recipe? It seems an unnecessary step. Looks delicious
    Rose