Ramen with Egg and Cheese

Screen shot 2015-02-08 at 11.28.46 PM

This is shorter and sweeter than I intended to be tonight, but I need to share my new favourite thing before too much time passes and I forget – it’s instant ramen with a bit of butter, egg poached right in the broth, and melty cheese. Cheese (the processed, wrapped in plastic kind) is a Korean thing, and far more delicious than it sounds – unless you think it sounds delicious, in which case you’re bang-on.

LA food truck chef Roy Choi shared his recipe for doctored-up ramen with the New York Times last year – it’s his staple, his grilled cheese, his bowl of cereal. And although packaged ramen has never particularly been my thing, it kind of is now – I want to go out and stay out late and have too many gin and tonics just so I can come home and make a bowl of this – I imagine it tastes even better at two in the morning. The processed cheese melts into the hot broth, making it a sort of cross between ramen and mac & cheese. Of course as with any noodle bowl, feel free to add any other additions you like – bits of veggies or roast chicken or pork – and spice it up with a squirt of Sriracha.

Just don’t forget the cheese.

Chef Roy Choi’s Perfect Ramen

, ,

February 8, 2015

This is pretty basic ramen - feel free to doctor it up with any additions you like, or spice it up with a squirt of Sriracha.

• Makes: Serves 1.

Ingredients

1 pkg. instant ramen noodles

1 egg

1 tsp. butter

grated carrot, fresh spinach, or leftover veggies (totally optional)

2 processed cheese slices

toasted sesame seeds

chopped green onion

Sriracha

Directions

1Cook the noodles like you normally would - according to the package directions - when the noodles are about halfway cooked, crack in the egg and poach it in the broth over low heat, basting with broth or covering with a lid briefly to help it cook through.

2Carefully pour the lot into a bowl, add the butter and any veggies you like, and immediately top with the cheese slices. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, green onion and Sriracha to taste and serve immediately.

00:00

About Julie

12 comments on “Ramen with Egg and Cheese

1. Lana
    February 9, 2015 at 7:29 am

This makes me cringe and drool at the same time. Guess I better try it before I judge it!

2. Jules @ WolfItDown
    February 9, 2015 at 11:24 am

This sounds so easy yet so delicious! I like cracking an egg into bowls like these, and the way it makes the dish thicker and more filling 😀
    After many a night out, I’ve found myself at Noodlebar in town, hunting down some chow mein, because plain isn’t always boring and can be packed full of flavour. This sounds amazing, especially with the cheese through it 😀 x

3. Carolyn
    February 9, 2015 at 5:32 pm

Wow, you’ve convinced me to buy a package of “square” cheese. I’m assuming that I could use chicken broth instead of the flavour pack with the noodles – making it slightly less processed…..

4. rose
    February 9, 2015 at 9:51 pm

Hi Julie

How goes the kitchen?

Rose

5. Lana
    February 10, 2015 at 7:12 am

You realize that my husband was a cheesemaker? I am not allowed to have cheese slices in my kitchen. Maybe I can disguise them in a different container…

6. Lily
    February 12, 2015 at 1:53 pm

When I was a kid, I used to make instant noodles, but pour out most of the broth and then add in the sliced cheese. It was nice and gooey. I may have to go re-visit this dish. 🙂

7. Lynne Faubert
    February 16, 2015 at 2:31 pm

Lol, this sounds so crazy. And so good, in a “Am I supposed to like this?” way. I’m a little afraid that if I serve this to my family (boy and dad), they’ll want to eat it forever… Let’s see if I’m right. Thx for the idea!

8. kathy
    January 8, 2017 at 9:44 am

I’m new to your blog (Marie from Humblebee and Me recommended your bread recipe which put me on a browsing quest) and it’s wonderful! Thanks Marie and thanks Julie. I love that you’re a Canadian homey too.

When I saw the telltale cheese slices, I went, “How did this woman know about this?!” My hubby got me onto this, and we generally eat it more pasta-like (with less water) than soupy, but I LOVE the idea of adding an egg for some protein. I’m going to try it for sure. And, I also might try a homemade Asian noodle soup this way (ramen is just so baaaad, but so good, and sometimes I get on my high horse about eating it). Thanks!

9. Ari Rod
    May 12, 2018 at 4:42 pm

I’ve been making ramen like that for years! Along with my mother who taught me. Definitely the way to go. Everyone thought we were weird but I guess it takes a well known person to try it for it to get somewhere lol.

• Julie
      May 17, 2018 at 4:52 pm

Everyone thinks it’s weird until they try it!