Blueberry Gin Jam

Blueberry Gin Jam

There are wild blueberries here in Muskoka, but they’re tiny and tedious to pick, and I miss the round, sweet highbush blueberries that had just come into season in BC before we left. We snuck away for brunch the weekend before this past one, which seems like forever ago, before heading out of town. It was early afternoon and we were hungry, and jumped straight to the fried chicken on biscuits, but they recognized we had missed an integral course and brought a tray of breakfast pastries anyway – croissants and other fancy breads, along with a pot of blueberry gin jam to spread all over everything.

Blueberry gin jam 3

You couldn’t really taste the gin, but I love the idea of the combination and the fact that you could add more to your taste – blueberry jam is ridiculously easy to make, and doesn’t really require a recipe – the heat of a skillet breaks them down easily, and all you need to add is a shake of sugar to suit your taste (blueberries don’t need much) and a squeeze of lemon juice if you’re so inclined (or a shot of gin) – the hit of acid adds a bit of balance. It’s a great way to use blueberries that are a bit squidgy, or if you bought too many and they start to go wrinkly. Really to make jam all you need to do is cook the fruit and sugar until it breaks down and thickens and looks like jam – it doesn’t have to be an enormous pot, and you don’t need to fill several jars. You don’t even need a jar – just fill a bowl or a ramekin and keep it in the fridge to spread on your toast and scones until it’s gone. Or freeze it for another time – mostly what keeps people from making jam is the fear of having to go through the boiling and processing of it, but that’s not really necessary if you have a freezer.

Blueberry gin jam 2

There are so many amazing local gins out there – I used some from Park Distillery in Banff, and a shot of Eau Claire from Turner Valley, which is more complex with all the botanicals going on, and works particularly well in this jam. But use whatever gin you have in your cupboard. And trust yourself to wing it – add a splash of gin and sugar to taste and don’t worry about measuring your berries, but if you do like the security of measurements, here’s a rough guide.

Blueberry gin jam 2
Blueberry gin jam 2

Blueberry Gin Jam

Recipe link

July 26, 2017

Ingredients

2 cups blueberries

1/3 cup sugar

1 shot gin (or a squeeze of lemon juice)

Directions

1Combine everything in a skillet or medium pot set over medium-high heat and cook, stirring, until the berries soften and release their juices and the mixture bubbles and looks jam-like. When your spoon leaves a trail through the berries, it's done. Store in a jar in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, or freeze for longer storage. Makes about 1 cup.

00:00

About Julie

You May Also Like

13 comments on “Blueberry Gin Jam

1. Lisa
    July 26, 2017 at 9:12 am

Recipe link is blank.

• Julie
      July 27, 2017 at 4:48 pm

Sorry, just another glitch in this new website. Need to get it redone again. :(

2. Eileen
    July 26, 2017 at 9:13 am

Thank you for this latest recipe Julie.
    I’m drooling, thinking of blueberry jam on toast

Love your blog.

3. Barb
    July 26, 2017 at 10:43 am

I’m sooo sad the recipe won’t work. So I’m off to find the Turner Valley Gin.

• Julie
      July 27, 2017 at 4:48 pm

Sorry… so tired of this glitchy new site that deletes half my recipes! Will rewrite…

• Barb
        July 27, 2017 at 5:25 pm

No hurry, you’re on holiday. Got gin, got berries, got freezer ??. It’s too ?hot to make jam right now.

• Julie
      July 28, 2017 at 5:45 pm

It won’t work?? did you try it?

• Barb
        July 28, 2017 at 7:17 pm

Do you mean the recipe won’t work after the berries are frozen? OR that the site won’t work? It must have worked ’cause I got the recipe.
        I put the berries in the freezer, drank a shot of that delicious gin and I will wait until it is not flaming hot here in Calgary before I give it a try. Thank you for fixing the recipe online.

4. esme
    July 29, 2017 at 4:03 pm

It totally worked for me! I added the lemon juice and the gin because I have no self-control, and I drank some gin as soon as I got home, and consequently I didn’t follow the recipe properly. It is fantastic on ice cream, toast, spoons and fingers. Also with marscapone cheese. It was intended to be used in lazy tiramisu, but it never made it to the ladyfingers because we just ate it up. I am making a double batch tonight when it cools down. Julie, you rock my world is all I can say.

5. Kathy
    August 1, 2017 at 10:13 am

Hoping this will work with raspberries as our raspberry bushes are going insane with fruit.

6. Mary
    August 1, 2017 at 5:51 pm

Can you please add a link to your scone recipe?