In Austin

Those of you who don’t follow me on twitter may not realize I’m in Austin, Texas right now. I am. At the IACP conference. It’s almost a hundred degrees, and I’m the only one not wearing strappy sandals. Since I arrived yesterday afternoon, it’s been nonstop. I think I may have slept for a bit in the middle there somewhere.

So yesterday? at food camp? I met Dorie Greenspan. Who was absolutely lovely and friendly and exactly like the Dorie I had in my mind, once I filled in all the gaps.

And then I went to a party at the museum Kalyn, and Eliese, and Jaden, and so many people I have a bag full of cards and a brain full of good conversations. And Kalyn and I went to La Condesa for margaritas and a late nibble, which were stupendous.

And this morning, at food camp? I met Shauna. (Finally.) And Dan, and Gaby. And we walked in the wet heat to the Taco Shack and ate tacos for breakfast, with guava juice and iced coffee.

And then there was a lot of other stuff, and tonight, at another shindig, Dorie saw me through the crowd and came over to ask me how my day was. And then Jacques Pépin came over to say hi – to Dorie, that is, but yes for a few fleeting minutes I was just hanging and chatting with Dorie and Jacques, and it could be that I just fell asleep and didn’t notice, but if that’s the case I’d like to continue on with this dream, please. Glee – I get it now.

Dinner, by the way, was amazing barbecue at Lamberts with Shauna, Danny and Lu, and Lisa, Gaby and Lillian. After a midnight food styling session (you know you’re hard-core when…) I’m going to bed – never so happily exhausted and invigorated at the same time.

About Julie

You May Also Like

14 comments on “In Austin

1. Rambles with Reese
    June 3, 2011 at 7:10 am

Sounds like a great conference! I’ve always wanted to go to Austin. Enjoy the Tex-Mex food Julie!

xo

2. Liz
    June 3, 2011 at 7:32 am

I’m from Texas, and practically grew up visiting my (much) older sister in Austin. I’ve lived in New York for four years now, but if I had to live anywhere else, I can guarantee you it would be ATX.

If you have any spare time for any reason, you should absolutely go to Threadgill’s (chicken fried steak that will blow your mind…also, smoked catfish) or Shady Grove (I have dreams about chicken fried chicken topped with queso and pico de gallo). I know this all makes me sound like I weigh about a thousand pounds, but seriously…AMAZING. And don’t forget that you’re smack-dab in the middle of the live music capital of the world.

So glad you are enjoying the food (are breakfast tacos not a gift from God?), and SO JEALOUS that you met Dorie Greenspan and Shauna, Danny, and Lu!

3. Fiona
    June 3, 2011 at 7:44 am

Austin is amazing. I would love to go back there and skip the hours and hours in corporate boardrooms that punctuated my last two visits. I didn’t have a single bad meal in a restaurant there, either.

4. Michelle
    June 3, 2011 at 7:52 am

Sounds wonderful and incredibly inspiring! Soak up every second! You Rock!

5. Stacey Maddock
    June 3, 2011 at 8:45 am

my old stompin’ grounds! wave at the university for me 🙂 sounds like your having a blast, soak it all in!

6. Lana
    June 3, 2011 at 8:56 am

Have never been to Austin but sounds like it would be worth it just for the food! Have fun. Wish I was there, too!

7. RMB
    June 3, 2011 at 2:11 pm

I love Austin! Some must dos if you have time:
    6th Street — which is like the old Electric Ave. in Calgary only better and longer
    U of T Austin campus
    The bats flying out from a bridge at sunset. It is a spectacular sight. And if you’re not a bat fan (like me) you don’t have be too close to be amazed.

And all the food I had was sooo delicious.

Enjoy!

8. KalynsKitchen
    June 3, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Hi Julie,
    It’s been so fun to finally meet you and get to hang out in Austin a little during IACP. Hope we will see each other again sometime, and if you ever come to Utah there is a bedroom for you at my house!
    xoxo
    Kalyn

9. Laurie from Burnaby
    June 3, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Oh, Julie, to meet Jacques Pepin! Words fail me. Enjoy Austin, and all the food. I would be re-dreaming about JP every minute! 😀

10. Carolyn
    June 3, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Totally unrelatd to your post, but I was sooooo excited to see that I could pre-order your new book on Chapters-Indigo!!

11. JulieVR
    June 3, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Carolyn – you can?? no way! wow!!

Kalyn – right back atcha! If you ever want to visit Calgary, you’re welcome to W’s bunkbed! 🙂

12. stacy
    June 4, 2011 at 9:26 pm

oh how I wish I had your life sometimes! Maybe my foodnetwork addiction would come in handy!

Have lots of fun. I would have been shell shocked if Jacque Pepin even came without 10 feet of me! lol

13. Erica B.
    June 4, 2011 at 11:45 pm

Austin & the IACP conference sounds like a fantastic time.

Wow it is available for preorder! Spilling the Beans: http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Spilling-Beans-Cooking-Baking-Beans-Julie-Van-Rosendaal-Sue-Duncan/9781770500419-item.html?ikwid=julie+van+rosendaal&ikwsec=Books

14. Dianne
    June 5, 2011 at 12:53 pm

So happy that you had a wonderful time. You needed that and deserved it too.