Blog Flog: Celebrating The Holidays Right with Castello Cheese

If you look to social media, you’ll see that food boards are all the rage these days. With the Holiday party season coming up, it’s good to know you don’t have to cook a whole extravagant meal if you don’t want to—you can assemble all sorts of tasty things on a cutting board or platter, or whatever you can scrounge up from around the kitchen. There’s totally no shame in picking up cheese, charcuterie, olives, fancy breads… it’s all about enjoying your own party, right?

Our annual Christmas party, as I may have mentioned in the past, has a theme of polyester and cheese – throughout the year, friends text me with photos of garish polyester finds they come across at thrift stores or in boxes in the attic – “I found my polyester and cheese outfit!”. Polyester is encouraged but not required, as people tend to party hop on December weekends, but the one rule is that everyone bring a chunk, wedge or tub of cheese. Who doesn’t love cheese? It’s easy to set out and not have to worry about keeping hot or cold (if it’s a baked brie, it’s always gone before it cools completely anyway), and the very best part is the leftover nuggets we pack away to nibble on for the week between Christmas and New Year’s Eve.

How to build a cheese board

So when Castello asked if I would come up with some tips on how to assemble a holiday cheese board, I was more than happy to comply. It is, in fact, a year-round habit of mine—just about any time I have people over, even if it’s just one or two extra at my kitchen table, I rummage through my cheese drawer and set a few out, with crackers or bread and whatever accompaniments happen to be in my kitchen. If you’re planning ahead, you could pick up any number of nuts, dried fruits, preserves and fancy crackers or fruit breads, but I guarantee if you look through your cupboard and fridge, there’s something in there that’s perfect for a cheese board.

Marble, Wood, Tile?

First consideration: the board itself. You could use a wood cutting board, inexpensive fancy cheese boards seem to be everywhere. Marble is pretty, but expensive—I like picking up a kitchen tile from my local home supply store and putting a sticky felt furniture pad on the bottom of each corner. Easy, and it costs about $3.

What Kinds of Cheeses to Include:

When choosing cheeses for a board, go for an assortment of flavours and textures – something sharp, something creamy, something blue. Firm and soft, square and round. It’s visually pleasing, more interesting, and appeals to a wider range of tastes. Take your cheese out of the fridge half an hour before you plan to serve it to take the chill off, and don’t bother pre-cutting it – the more surface area, the more quickly it will dry out. Place the largest pieces on your board first, spacing them out with room for crackers and other accompaniments.

Castello Cheese board 6

For this board, I used some Castello Tickler Extra Mature Cheddar—one of my favourite cheddars, it’s rich and intense, with tiny flecks of those tangy calcium crystals I love so much. It’s matured for up to 18 months and created by expert cheese makers. I also chose a rich, buttery Castello Brie. This cheese melts in your mouth with a mild and enjoyable aftertaste. Next, I added a smooth, sharp yet lush Castello Double Crème Blue. This distinct blue cheese has a pleasantly aromatic and rich and creamy texture. Other cheeses featured on this board are a nutty, velvety Castello Double Crème White and Mike’s new favourite—Castello Cracked Black Pepper Cheddar, a piquant cheddar with an extra hit of black pepper that’s divine and flavourful.

Castello Cheese Board 4jpg

All the extras:

Next, add sliced or toasted baguette, crackers and other essentials—small jars or ramekins of chutney, apple jelly or mustard, sliced baguette, breadsticks, whatever you like. Piles of sliced cured meats or small bowls of olives or gherkins. Then you can fill in the spaces in between – I don’t like cramming in every bit of empty space, because it can be awkward to maneuver a knife in there, and you want to be able to access the cheese.

Add nuts, dried fruit, chunks of honeycomb or quince paste—again, go for an assortment of chewy, soft, crisp and crunchy. I like tucking in a few sprigs of fresh rosemary just for the look and aroma. And add a few small knives for friends to help themselves.

How to assemble a cheese board

With extras on hand in the fridge—another beautiful thing about cheese is that it keeps so well, so you don’t need to worry about having too much—you can replenish quickly and easily as friends graze, and enjoy the party without being tied to the kitchen.

Want to win a Castello prize pack of your own? They put together a holiday quiz to determine which cheese board is right for you.

Although this post has been sponsored by Castello Cheese, opinions are my own, and in no way do they reflect Castello Cheese.

About Julie

You May Also Like

9 comments on “Blog Flog: Celebrating The Holidays Right with Castello Cheese

1. Karin
    December 5, 2018 at 10:49 am

Hi Julie, any idea where I can get the cheeses featured in this post in or around Calgary? I‘ve seen some Castello cheeses at Costco, never the Tickler or cracked pepper ones though.

• Julie
      December 6, 2018 at 10:59 pm

Yes, I bought them all at Calgary Co-op, at the Midtown Market!

2. Eija
    December 6, 2018 at 9:39 am

OMG I am so happy to get the recipe for the cheddar chive shortbread! Yes, the Marilyn Show was where I saw Anna Olson with it, but I didn’t watch the whole show and then forgot where to find the recipe I didn’t want to buy Anna Olson\s book because I don’t back very much.

• Julie
      December 6, 2018 at 10:59 pm

Oh yay, glad you found it!

3. Carole Mayne
    December 10, 2018 at 6:53 pm

Castello has been like cheese crack this fall! Sadly, I have to quit as Trader Joe’s stopped carrying it for the holidays… wow, it’s just one of the best cheeses anywhere!

4. Alena
    April 15, 2019 at 11:24 am

I would like to thank you for the efforts
    you’ve put in writing this site. I am hoping to viesw the same high-grade content from you
    in the future as well. In truth, your creative writing abilities
    has inspired mee to get my very own site now 😉

5. Nafsikas garden
    May 10, 2019 at 4:48 am

I really like Brabander Goat Gouda this flavored cheese with chocolate-covered figs for the ultimate treat. I just wanted to reach out and say “thanks” for mentioning in your excellent article.

6. Home Euphoria
    June 22, 2019 at 11:10 am

I like how you make your “left overs” -if that would be the correct word to use into a wonderful art. Thank you so much for this, your post gave me an idea next time I’ll do my own cheeseboard.

7. abselty
    August 14, 2020 at 5:46 pm

Price generic nimotop canada, order now nimotop europe

Our online pharmacy is the right place to shop for most trusted, high quality medications!

CLICK HERE FOR PHARMACY ONLINE RIGHT NOW!!!

The hottest news in the world of medicine – best drugs of the year!

Officials are in formal trade talks with Japan, Australia and the US as well as New Zealand and the EU itself, and racing to get deals rubber-stamped before the nimotop end of the transition period on December 31. Black dancers, musicians and artists have invigorated what had long been considered a whites-only space. In Veritas Ariel Sabar tells the madcap story of the professor who was tricked by a Florida fraudster into announcing an extraordinary religious discovery. Last week, when President Trump proudly unveiled the flag for Space Force, there must have been high-fives all round at Netflix HQ because here comes its excellent comedy drama of the same name. Women’s Super League, county cricket, and some race meetings are set to be the next round of test events to try and get fans back to live sporting events. Sportsmail understands no nonsense defender Duffy discussed a one year loan deal with Neil Lennon earlier this week. However, he also has interest from several Premier League clubs The show will be filmed in the empty Broadway theater where it had been playing in previews, and still plans to open in May 2021. Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s nimotop new California mansion comes with eye-watering bills that could stretch as high as $4.4million per year… so what makes their new property so expensive? Miley Cyrus has revealed her first sexual experience was a threesome with two girls. New measures mean that the process of gaining possession of their property via the courts will not be the same as before the pandemic. Cheap nimotop buy payment. The new games console, which Xbox has described as its ‘most powerful ever’, will feature processing power twice that of the current generation Xbox One X. Her and Cardi B have been the talk of the town – and the internet – since releasing the explicit music video for their sexually charged track WAP last week. Police arrested Stacey Hampton, 26, at Adelaide Airport on May 6 on her way back from Melbourne where she travelled despite being ordered to self-isolate after a previous interstate jaunt. President Donald Trump fanned the flames of yet another ‘birther’ conspiracy theory by telling nimotop White House reporters Thursday that he had ‘no idea’ if Kamala Harris was eligible to be vice president. Stromans departure is another blow to the teams pitching staff, which was already without the injured Noah Syndergaard. The winning if overly eager-to-please documentary Boys State looks at an annual educational program for teenage boys. Behold all the news thats fit to weave. On The Real Housewives of Atlanta, Porsha Williams is a glamorous goofball. In real life, shes become a crusader against police violence. A string of big names including WH Smith, Boots and Marks Spencer have announced brutal job cuts as the coronavirus crisis has nimotop wreaked havoc on the High Street. The winners of both the Europa and Champions League finals will be handed their prizes in full trophy presentations. Each of UEFA’s showcase games will see players given handed medals. Biden is leading Trump by seven points nationwide as new poll reveals more than 50 per cent of respondents disapprove of the president’s handling of the coronavirus pandemic and other top issues. Israel says the attack was thwarted, but a cybersecurity firm says it was successful. Some officials fear that classified data stolen by North Korea could be shared with Iran. Purchase nimotop store europe. The inspector general also found the State Department avoided congressional review by dividing sales of controversial arms into smaller packages.