Beef Brisket / Frozen Pizza / Butter Chicken Sauce with Naan

SONY DSC
SONY DSC

We ate a progressive dinner of sorts this afternoon/evening – you know where you start with an appetizer at one location, move on to dinner at the next, and dessert at a third? This afternoon was a refresher course for barbecue judges who are doing Barbecue on the Bow this year (that’s us) so we headed over to the Queen of Smoke (Sharma Christie)’s house for a bit of a brush up, and two briskets were smoked for the occasion – you know, so we had some smoke rings to ogle over and meat to make an example of. First course: brisket, saltines and bottled water.

Mike’s mom and sister teamed up to watch W while we were there, so the switch off was staying for dinner when we arrived back at the end of the afternoon. Chopped salad (iceberg lettuce, peppers, tomatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, green onions, Catalina dressing – do you remember that stuff? – very 1980s steak house, right down to the shallow plastic bowls) and frozen pizza. Dinner #3 was at my Mom’s. We didn’t plan to eat, but she ordered in east Indian food for the occasion of my cousin being in town from Windsor – my childhood Bobbsey twin, and I haven’t seen him in eons – and so we arrived just as the food was being set out. Once everyone had filled their plates there were takeout containers left with enough butter chicken sauce to swim in, and half a basket of naan. I’m just not that strong a person. I cleaned it all up, plus most of the bowl of chocolate covered almonds.

So that was dinner. And now I shudder to open this door again, but it must be opened, because I shudder even harder every time I see my header in a state of purgatory – with some of you loving and some hating it, but none really loving the catchphrase, which I’m not even really sure I need but I do see as an opportunity to inject a little humour. On the other hand, I don’t want to have one just for the sake of having one – I may lose it altogether. Or, how about: eat my words? I know, I know. Everything is so cliché in the food world.

In other news, I’ll be on Martha Stewart Living Radio tomorrow morning – 12:15 EST. Care to wager how much I’ll sleep tonight? I feel like I might just lose my brisket.

One Year Ago: Fig & Olive Tapenade

About Julie

You May Also Like

14 comments on “Beef Brisket / Frozen Pizza / Butter Chicken Sauce with Naan

1. I like the current header (and I LOVE butter chicken!)

2. rea
    June 7, 2009 at 9:51 pm

could be time for a rollerderby name.

cookie munsta?

demolition dinner?

julie-da-licious?

ps you’ll figure it out.

3. Carolyn
    June 8, 2009 at 3:09 am

Martha Stewart Radio — HOW COOL!!!! Is this the big secret that you were working on a few weeks back? I also love the current header, but whatever you settle on will be great!

4. Mama JJ
    June 8, 2009 at 3:32 am

“Eat my words.” I love that!

5. supersu
    June 8, 2009 at 4:30 am

good luck with martha….you’l; do GREAT!

6. Natalie (Michigan)
    June 8, 2009 at 4:32 am

Casual, experimental dining…..

You mentioned on Kitchn this was your cooking style. It stuck with me….

7. Jen C
    June 8, 2009 at 5:26 am

I think you are on the right track with a couple potential by-lines (“Casual, experimental dining” and “Come into my Kitchen”) and as well, the photos and clear and clean look. I like the color, however do think it’s a bit dark and could maybe look better if you put some texture behind it?

I would just keep playing with it and see where you get. We are going to continue to be divided (like pleasing a crowd, right?), like, dislike, etc. Whatever you end up with, we will like as it will no doubt reflect your style, which we are all partial to.

Have fun with Martha!

8. JulieVR
    June 8, 2009 at 6:26 am

No, this isn’t the big secret project! I am working on that one today and tomorrow too. It was supposed to launch this week, but has been pushed back a couple weeks, so you’ll have to wait (again) – sorry!

9. Melanie
    June 8, 2009 at 6:31 am

That’s so cool! I’ll try to tune – forgive my postpartum brain – but is that 12:15 our time or do I have to try to do some simple math???

10. Sprout
    June 8, 2009 at 7:17 am

Hi Julie,
    I’m a first time poster, long time follower of your blog (and a huge fan!). I just bought your book ‘Starting Out’ a couple of weeks ago and I was struck by something you said in the introduction about the saying “you are what you eat” about how it was a cultural/emotional/social thing rather than just a nutritional thing. How true! So for a tagline, how about a take on that…

‘I am what I ate’
    or “we are what we eat”

Thanks for the great blog!

11. erin
    June 8, 2009 at 12:01 pm

I have to say that I like ‘Come into my kitchen’. I check your blog every day, and at first you were sort of a celebrity to me, but now I feel like I know you. I feel like I could come into your kitchen, have a cup of coffee, eat something delicious and talk about our kids.

Of course, now that you have been on Martha Stewart Radio, you go back to celebrity status!!

12. Dana
    June 8, 2009 at 12:59 pm

I like the current catchphrase, I think it captures what you are doing, which is letting everyone in on what goes on in your kitchen, which is a reflection of your life.

13. Penny
    June 8, 2009 at 7:10 pm

12:15 EST stands for Eastern Standard Time, so our Ms. Kitchen Hero will be in the radio at 10:15 a.m. Calgary time.

Break a wooden spoon, Julie.

14. Becky and the Beanstock
    June 9, 2009 at 9:36 am

“come into my kitchen” doesn’t say much, except that you’re (maybe) a food site (or who knows, maybe you do weird science tricks). Initially I was thinking that you don’t really need a byline, since you’re well on your way to establishing a name for yourself and the blog, but the reality is that you want to continue to expand your audience — so a byline will help draw in those folks unfamiliar. So, if you were going to boil down your blog into a feeling, what would it be? (Sorry about the boil pun, btw). Whatever the feeling essence that you’re aiming for is also what you want to convey in the byline, I think.